LogViewPlus Support

incorrect window size in 4k resolution

https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/Topic1236.aspx

By Igor - 30 Nov 2021

incorrect window size when launched in 4k resolution and don't remember the new position of the window
By LogViewPlus Support - 30 Nov 2021

Hi Igor,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

What version of LogViewPlus are you using? 

LogViewPlus should support high DPI screens, but there are known issues when moving between monitors.  Has the window been moved from one monitor to the other?  What happens when the application is resized and then restarted?

Thanks,

Toby
By Igor - 1 Dec 2021

one monitor is used, if change the size then after restarting the window position is reset (don't remember)
i use 200% scale
By LogViewPlus Support - 1 Dec 2021

Hi Igor,

I have now been able to recreate this issue on a laptop.  I will take a look and get back to you as soon as a fix is available.  Hopefully, before the end of the week.

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Toby
By LogViewPlus Support - 4 Dec 2021

Hi Igor,

Can you please confirm if you are running Windows 11?  I have been unable to recreate this issue in other Windows versions.

Thanks,

Toby
By Igor - 6 Dec 2021

Hi Toby, I use Windows 10 (build 19043.1348)
By LogViewPlus Support - 6 Dec 2021

Thanks Igor.

I believe I was able to recreate the issue in Windows 10, the problem I was having was related to my specific monitor configuration.

We have just released LogViewPlus v2.5.42 as a beta release which should resolve this issue.  As the issue may be specific to your monitor configuration, I would appreciate it if you could confirm the fix.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Toby
By Igor - 7 Dec 2021

Hi Toby, v2.5.42 is fixed, thanks!
By LogViewPlus Support - 7 Dec 2021

Glad to hear it Igor - thanks for letting me know!
By symphara - 16 Feb 2022

Hi, I downloaded the latest beta today and I have a similar problem.

I have a 5k monitor and locally the application looks fine (Windows 11). However when I remote desktop from this machine into another computer and run LogViewPlus there, it doesn't scale correctly. The log items themselves are fine but the text in the toolbars is tiny.

Completely unrelated - I was impressed that it detected my custom log format correctly, well done.
By LogViewPlus Support - 16 Feb 2022

Thanks for reporting this issue Symphara.  

LogViewPlus does not automatically adjust DPI settings if they are modified.  Is the problem resolved on an application restart?  I will investigate this issue to see if I can recreate it.

We've put a lot of work into the custom log format detection - thanks for noticing!  :-)

Toby
By symphara - 16 Feb 2022

Thank you for replying so quickly. The DPI settings are not modified!

The application simply has the wrong DPI scaling when used over Remote Desktop Connection.

So basically from any high-DPI computer try to connect using Remote Desktop Connection to another computer, while keeping the Display Configuration to "Large" (full screen). Then run LogViewPlus on the remote machine. It's not scaled correctly.

Restarting the application or restarting the remote connection (while leaving the application running) has no effect.
By LogViewPlus Support - 16 Feb 2022

Thanks for the update.

I have been able to recreate the issue.  The problem seems to be an issue with how Windows and RDP handle scaling of Winforms applications.  I am able to partially resolve the problem by turning off "Fix scaling for apps" in the advanced scaling settings of the remote machine.

Unfortunately this setting is global and might impact other applications.  I have researched alternative solutions but because the underlying issue is settings related I cannot see any other alternatives except disabling DPI scaling when an RDP connection is detected.  This should force the controls to be appropriately sized, but will likely result in slightly blurry text.  I will look into adding a configuration setting to disable DPI scaling in the next release.

Hope that helps,

Toby
By LogViewPlus Support - 17 Feb 2022

We have updated the latest version (v2.6) of LogViewPlus to include a new command line option.  You can now start LogViewPlus from the command line with:

logviewplus.exe -DisableScaling

This will disable DPI scaling in LogViewPlus and leave the scaling to Windows.  Windows default scaling ensures controls are adequately sized, but may result in slightly blurry text.  Note that command line arguments can also be specified by modifying Windows shortcuts.

For now, the two options of running LogViewPlus without scaling or turning off "Fix scaling" in Windows are the only two workarounds we are going to be able to provide for running LogViewPlus in RDP at high DPI.  Neither of these solutions are ideal.  I have made a note to investigate this issue further in a future release.

Hope that helps.  Thanks again for reporting this issue,

Toby
By Memnarch1113 - 10 Mar 2022

Hi Toby,
I've got another bug to toss on your todo list. I will try out the logviewplus.exe -DisableScaling Setting, but I wanted to show off a similar-ish bug. I have a 2k display, and my coworker has a 4k display, and we've occasionally noticed logs that are inconsistently scaled. Some lines seem to have the correct scaling modifier turned on, some don't. For me it's fine because I have a 27inch screen, and so I have loads of real estate. But my coworker has a 17inch 4k screen and so the text (even at 16pt font) is mostly tiny in the logs themselves. The rest of the UI is fine. (This screenshot is from her screen) (sorry I had to blur it a bit to protect user privacy, but hopefully you can see some lines are different sizes from others)

I'm attaching the screenshot and dxdiag logs if you can use them.  Again, we'll try out the disable scaling setting and see if it helps, but to me this was a pretty clear signal there's a bug where certain log line entries are being treated differently from others. Hopefully that makes tracking down the issue easier!
By LogViewPlus Support - 10 Mar 2022

HI Memnarch,

Thanks for reporting this issue.  That is a very strange bug indeed.  Are these log lines permanently scaled incorrectly?  What happens if you scroll or refresh the log file?  I have seen behavior somewhat similar to this if the screen scaling is changed and the application is not restarted.

There is a known issue in 2.6 with drawing multiple highlights in the grid which will be fixed in the next release.  I can see that the log line selected has multiple highlights.  This could be contributing the the problem as well.  (For performance, grid lines with multiple highlights are drawn completely differently from grid lines with a single highlight).

I will take a look at the sample log file and see if I can recreate.

Thanks again,

Toby
By Memnarch1113 - 10 Mar 2022

Hi,
Got it. I am not certain if I had highlights in here but I think you might be right. I did not include a sample log because it's from a user's machine, so I can't share for privacy reasons, sorry. But interesting to know that we might see a fix in the next release anyway, thanks!
By LogViewPlus Support - 11 Mar 2022

In this case, I mean the words highlighted in yellow rather than the 'highlights' feature.  From the screenshot you provided, I can see two words highlighted on the selected line in the log entry display on the bottom of the screenshot.  Neither of these words are highlighted in the grid.

I have contacted the third-party grid developer about the highlight issue.  They have provided a new method for drawing these rows which has already been implemented in the next release.  Hopefully, this change will also resolve the DPI issue.

I will post back here when we have a BETA release available which is currently about 4 - 6 weeks away.

The issue with highlights is a regression.  You can try installing a previous version to see if that helps.  Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure when the issue was introduced, but I suspect the previous version (2.5.51) will be fine.

Hope that helps,

Toby
By symphara - 21 Mar 2022

I bought a license for the application and updated it to 2.6. On the positive side, the -DisableScaling does work on Remote Desktop and it's usable, if not ideal.

On the down side, the application no longer works correctly for me on the local (hi-DPI) screen. It did work when I posted my first message, I just had a problem through Remote Desktop back then. Now the local scaling is off too, fonts are way too small. Of course using -DisableScaling fixes this but it does introduce some blur.

As a completely unrelated issue, my log files are UTF8. Initially I noticed that it didn't display correctly international characters and I set the encoding to UTF-8 in Settings. This caused the application to conspicuously reload the log, but it still didn't display international characters correctly. I completely restarted it and then it worked fine, however this is probably not what was intended.
By LogViewPlus Support - 21 Mar 2022

Hi Symphara,

Thanks for reporting the UTF-8 issue.  The restart should not be required, so this is something we will need to investigate.

Sorry to hear you are having problems when running high DPI locally.  This surprises me because the 2.6 release did not make many DPI specific changes.  I just ran the application on a high DPI display on a mixed DPI desktop and could not see any obvious issues.

There is one change we made regarding painting the application via DirectX.  This change was not made for DPI reasons, but it might be causing the problem.  You can effectively revert this change by running LogViewPlus with the -DirectX option.  Can you please see if this helps with your issue?  I am unable to recreate locally.

Hope that helps,

Toby

Hi Toby,

Starting the application with -DirectX has correct hidpi rendering once again, however now there's a visual defect - the items in list views are incorrectly displayed, the text is no longer rendered in line with the icon and the text gets clipped as a result. I included a small screenshot (see "Open Last Workspace" and the list of recent directories).

Glad the change has helped - thanks for letting me know. 

I will remove the -DirectX change in the next release.  This flag is new in 2.6 so this will effectively be a rollback to the previous application behavior.  The problem we were trying to fix with this change is not as serious as the display issues you are seeing.

Unfortunately, I am again unable to recreate the scaling issue you are seeing.  What screen settings are you using?  I am testing on a 3840x2160 display running at 150% scaling.

Thanks,

Toby

I have two monitors, one 5120x2880 (5k) and one 3840x2160 (4k), both running at 200% scaling. This is appropriate because the monitors are only 27" and respectively 24", so 150% scaling is too small.

I tried launching your app on both of them. It doesn't scale correctly on either monitor but it looks equally wrong on both.

This is what it looks like when launched without any options. The icons are oversized while some text (in the list views) is too small, I have some trouble reading it:

This is what it looks like with -DisableScaling. Everything has the correct size but of course there's some scaling blur:

I have tried to recreate at 200% scaling and the application looks good on my end:

There must be something different about your local display settings, but I am not sure what it could be.  I am running Windows 10.  The main settings are scaling and resolution, but other settings may be impacting the output.  For example, Graphics Settings -> "hardware accelerated gpu rendering".

Strange that the previous version did not have these issues.  Do you remember what version you were running?  Are you running multiple LogViewPlus instances, maybe the application is not being fully restarted?  Were you running the same application skin before?

The display issues you are seeing are in a component provided by a 3rd party.  I can upgrade the component and hope that helps, but the better approach would be to recreate the issue to make sure it gets fixed properly.

Until we are able to recreate the issue, the best I can suggest is to run the application with the -DisableScaling flag.

Toby
By symphara - 22 Mar 2022

I am running Windows 11. Hardware accelerated rendering is of course enabled. I don't remember what version I was running, sorry - whatever beta you had on the website on the 16th of February.

I will run the app with -DisableScaling for the time being.
By LogViewPlus Support - 22 Mar 2022

Thanks for the update Symphara - that's really helpful. 

We have not yet tested on Windows 11, so that could be the issue.  I will test and get back to you, but this will likely take several weeks as we have other priorities at the moment.

Thanks again,

Toby
By LogViewPlus Support - 2 May 2022

Hi Symphara,

Just a quick update to let you know that the 2.6.2 BETA release is now available.  This release has been tested against Windows 11.

This also release includes two new settings:

The first settings turns DPI scaling on or off. This effectively replaces the DisableScaling flag mentioned above.

The second controls DirectX rendering. DirectX rendering is recommend as it is faster and usually provides a better visual experience. However, it may cause issues when displaying in some environments such as RDP or virtual machines.

These two settings should provide much more control over the display experience.

This release also addresses the issue you mentioned regarding the restart after changing the default file encoding.  The application restart should no longer be needed, but target log files may need to be refreshed.  Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

Hope that helps,

Toby