LogViewPlus Support

Group log files

https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/Topic288.aspx

By IVTH - 12 Aug 2019

Sometimes things break. When those things break, it might be because of errors in several different places with different logs on different hosts. It would be great if I could group (and even collapse the groups when not using them!) the log files into categories or labels so I can easily pull up the logs relevant to the issue at hand.

For example, if I have three servers A, B, and C that together do two tasks 1 and 2, they would each write their own log file for each task. So if servers A and B work on task 1, the would have `serverA_task1.log` and `serverB_task1.log`, and similar for task 2 that runs on B and C.

If task 1 fails, I would like to be able to look at the group of log files that task: `serverA_task1.log` and `serverB_task1.log`, and possibly collapse or hide the other log files for the current time. I could combine them into a single log, but that can make it more challenging to follow the exact process that each server was doing.

(Similarly, a different feature that is related: it could be great to have temporary merged logs by just selecting multiple log files in the side bar.)
By LogViewPlus Support - 13 Aug 2019

Thanks for the feedback.

We are currently working on the ability to group log files.  This feature will likely work by right clicking on a log file and then selecting a pre-defined group name.  The files will then be placed in the appropriate 'folder' in the tree view.

I am not sure if this will meet your requirements, but I would suggest we wait until this feature is available and then you can try it out to see what is missing.  Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks again,

Toby​​​​​​​​
By IVTH - 13 Aug 2019

Of course, that sounds like a very reasonable solution. Thank you!
By LogViewPlus Support - 13 Aug 2019

Happy to help.  I will post back on this topic once the feature is available in beta.  

Please do let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Toby​​​​​​​
By LogViewPlus Support - 12 Sep 2019

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that the grouping feature discussed above is now available in our beta release.

You can find the feature in the log file context menu:

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further issues / thoughts / comments.

Thanks,

Toby
By IVTH - 13 Sep 2019

Looks good: how do I access the beta release and when might this be available in an official release?

Thanks
By LogViewPlus Support - 13 Sep 2019

It's official!  :-) This change is in version v2.3.23 and greater.