LogViewPlus Support

Unable to make Date & Time settings work

https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/Topic345.aspx

By mhkohne - 8 Oct 2019

I've got log files that have timestamps specified in microseconds.
Example lines:

1570540970652: giveMacToRegistrant Giving mac 00:0d:05:07:23:f9 to Registrant Application PC
1570540970653: configureInterface Configuring interface eth1 (mac address 00:0d:05:07:23:f9) for Backpack communication.
1570540970653: ifcfg-eth1 modified. Bouncing the interface.

Our local timezone is GMT -4 (US Eastern), so that first time is 9:22:50.652 AM local, 1:22:50.652 PM GMT.

The filename is 2019-10-08_09-22-40.dump and my parser setting is thus:
File name patter: *.dump
PatternParser
%d{Elapsed}: %m%n

(I've also done it with %d: %m%n, no difference)

When I load this file I end up with the times displayed being in GMT.

I've tried playing with Settings->Application->Date & Time, but I can't get any other behavior, no matter how I specify the 'when time zone is unspecified' and 'convert timestamps to' settings.

How do I make these files come up correctly?

Alternately, is there a quick way to switch the offset for a given file? Or specify an offset for a file type in the parser mappings? Right now all I can do is switch to the File Tab, click the Time Offset button and type in an offset for the given file. Which works, but is a major pain in the neck when I've got twenty files that I need to do this for at once.

By LogViewPlus Support - 8 Oct 2019

Thanks for the detailed issue report. This sounds like a bug.  Elapsed time is processed differently from the more standard date formats and may be bypassing the timezone check.

I will need to investigate this further and get back to you later today.

In the meantime, would it help if you merged the files before applying the offset?  Just a suggestion. 

Thanks,

Toby
By mhkohne - 8 Oct 2019

Note that if I change the configuration for that file type to just use %d (instead of %d{Elapsed}) the problem still occurs. What are the other options there (I know about ElapsedDecimal, but I suspect there are others that I can't find documented).
By LogViewPlus Support - 8 Oct 2019

I have taken a closer look at the issue and can confirm it is a bug.  The "Convert time stamps to" setting is currently being ignored for all elapsed time calculations. 

I have fixed the issue.  The fix will be in the next beta release due out later this week.  I will post back here when the beta is available. 

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Toby
By LogViewPlus Support - 18 Oct 2019

Hi - I just wanted to let you know that we have now released LogViewPlus v2.3.35 which resolves this issue.  

Please let me know if you have any further issues.

Thanks,

Toby