LogViewPlus Support

Sluggish Scrolling

https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/Topic979.aspx

By Jehoschua - 1 May 2021

Good evening
I'm testing LogViewPlus and two things are annoying:

1) If we scroll the messages using the mouse wheel (the log file is smaller than 10kByte) and the wheel stopped, then the LogViewPlus still needs some seconds to reach the final position. It's really very annoying if one has to wait until a Log Viewer finally displays the requested position.
If we do the same in Notepad++, then it immediately displays the right position and does not continue scrolling.
I guess LogViewPlus has some smooth scrolling and it would be great if it could be disabled.

2) If one opens an unstructured log file, then the BasicParser creates the following configuration:

Does it make sense to have (1) two main log file entries and
(2) has 1000s of lines?

I would expect to not have details-records at all if there is only one or two main records...

Thanks a lot, kind regards,
Thomas Schittli

By LogViewPlus Support - 2 May 2021

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for reporting these issues.  Please note that I have renamed the subject of this ticket for clarity.

The mouse wheel should adjust the grid by 3-6 rows up or down.  The number of rows is determined by the available screen space.  It is best used for adjusting the current position rather than navigating. 

I can see where it would take a while to scroll to the bottom of a log file, but I have been unable to recreate a significant delay when scrolling.  It sounds like you stopped scrolling and LogViewPlus took several seconds to display the final position.  Is this correct?  This might have something to do with your particular log file (or how it is being parsed).  It may also be machine or LogViewPlus version related.

Just to let you know, in my testing there is not much difference between scrolling in Notepad++ and LogViewPlus.  I am testing with a 25 MB log file.

Also, for navigating around the log file, I would recommend using the navigation bar to the right of the scroll bar (usually color coded).  Clicking anywhere in this area will take you to that part of the grid.  Clicking the bottom of this area will scroll to the last log entry and enable tail.

Regarding the parsing issue, it is important to note two things:
1. LogViewPlus requires all log entries to have a timestamp.
2. A big 'final' log entry is an indication that LogViewPlus was unable to determine where this log entry ends.  For the BasicParser this is rare.  It is more common when a configured pattern is expected.

From your screenshots above, it looks like this log file does not have a date per log entry.  If you could give me more detail, I would be happy to take a look.  Please feel free to contact me offline if you cannot publish the log details.

Hope that helps,

Toby