LogViewPlus Support

Date time format in exported CSV file

https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/Topic1135.aspx

By RobSmyth - 6 Sep 2021

When I export a filtered log to a CSV file, the CSV file has timestamps using a "," delimiter for milliseconds. This does not match my region/culture en-AU which uses a "." delimiter. As a result when I view in Excel the timestamps are seen as text and not timestamps.

For example:
"2021-06-25 05:57:58,060",DEBUG,

Should be, in my culture:
"2021-06-25 05:57:58.060",DEBUG,

I have added any culture/format overrides in the application. Is this expected?
By LogViewPlus Support - 7 Sep 2021

Hi Robert,

Apologies for the slow reply on this one, I was investigating this issue as part of the other export ticket we discussed

This is expected behavior, but I can see why it is an issue and it is not something we had considered before.  The problem here is that we use this format internally for our "*.lvp" export and changing it would break backward compatibility.  It would also break backward compatibility for customers that are relying on the current CSV export feature.  The solution is probably to have a better export process that gives the user more control, but this will take some thought.

In the meantime, what I have done in the latest LogViewPlus BETA release (v2.5.34) is add a new time format field to the Report Command dialog:

Using the export format, you can control the format, but only in the context of a Report Command.  I have also added the ability to specify whether the time should be written as Local, UTC, or the Default timezone where 'Default' means the timezone currently used to display the timestamp.

Hope that makes sense.  Please do let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby