LogViewPlus Support

JSON explorer in the Original Entry pane

https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/Topic930.aspx

By cmidgley - 17 Feb 2021

New user here - but really loving LogView Plus.  I almost exclusively JSON log files, and some logs have detailed (ie, long) objects as JSON in the output.  To view them, I currently need to copy the log entry, go to a web site or third party program and paste it in, and then I can explore the JSON efficiently.  It would be amazing to have a built-in explorer as a way to view the original log entry, with:

- Ability to contract and expand the JSON tree
- Ability to collapse/expand all/one level at each tree point

For example, see http://www.bodurov.com/JsonFormatter/

An easier, but less integrated, solution could be to have another command type (like External, Report and Open), which can take the original log entry and save it to a temporary file and launch a Windows program (like VS Code, or Notepad++ or some JSON view/editor).  

Thanks!
By LogViewPlus Support - 17 Feb 2021

Thanks for the feedback - glad to hear you are finding LogViewPlus helpful.  :-)

Adding additional display logic for a single log entry is definitely something we want to expand on in the future.  I can see where the tree navigation suggested would be really helpful.  We have looked into this a bit in the past and there is a tricky balance between performance, ease of use and functionality.  Because of this, I do not think we will be able to implement this kind of functionality this year.

The good news is that you can open a single log entry in Notepad++ by using an external command with the ${CURRENT_SELECTION} argument template.

Your configuration will look something like:

Once configured, select the target log entries and then execute the command from the 'Home' menu.

Hope that helps,

Toby

Thanks for the fast response!  I missed that feature - that will help a lot.  Appreciate the feedback.
By LogViewPlus Support - 17 Feb 2021

That feature is easily missed.  :-)   

Hope it helps.  Please do let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby

If anyone else is interested, the "MiTeC JSONView" program (free download) works great with the External Command mentioned above.  Notepad++ didn't work as well, as External Command launches the log body as a '.txt' file and it depends on extensions to map to the correct viewer.

I also changed the the External Tools setting to use JSONView as my Text Editor, and now I can right-mouse the log and view it from there.

I couldn't figure out the "Open With..." context menu option - it's not showing up anywhere I have found so far.  It would be great if that could work on a log item (in the list) as well as in the log text area.
By LogViewPlus Support - 18 Feb 2021

If you are saving a log entry which is identified as JSON (it's pretty-print type), then it should save with a *.json extension.  This is a bug and I will get it fixed for the next release.

Also, if you right click in the text area, you can "Open in Text Editor":

This command will take the JSON formatting into account and save the file with a *.json extension (which Notepad++ understands).

The "Open in Text Editor" command is also available from the file menu, but this will open the entire log file in a text editor.  There is no "Open With" command on log files.  I am not sure what 'other' application there would be besides a text editor.

The file explorer does have a "Open With" command.  I think this makes sense, but it would also be helpful if there was a "Open in Text Editor" command listed here as well.  I will get this fixed.

Great feedback - thanks!

Toby