LogViewPlus Support

Files Disappearing

https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/Topic1053.aspx

By SoBeGuy - 1 Aug 2021

I'm using an SFTP monitor to monitor a directory. When I created the monitor, it found all the files and they all showed up in the File Transfers pane, with status "Monitoring". They also showed up in the Log Files & Filters pane.

For the most part, this works fine, but sometimes, files just disappear from either or both panes, even though they still exist on the server. Sometimes they come back after a while and other times, I have to close and reopen the workspace to get them back. For example, I currently have a file that exists in the directory. It disappeared from both panes, but now, a few minutes later, it's showing up in the File Transfers pane, but it's still missing from the Log Files & Filters Pane.
By LogViewPlus Support - 1 Aug 2021

Hi Brad.  

Thanks for reporting this issue - it sounds like very strange behavior.

My first thought is that LogViewPlus is losing track of the file for some reason and then the workspace is getting corrupted with reloads (old / bad file vs the refreshed / good file).  If this is true, restarting LogViewPlus might help temporarily.

Can you please check your Tail & Scroll settings to make sure that the transfer is not timing out?  Also, if you right-click in the file transfers pane, there should be an option to "Show Transfer Log".  It would be interesting to monitor this log to see if the SFTP server is reporting any problems.

Hope that helps,

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 1 Aug 2021

OK, a couple of things:

1. In Tail & Scroll Settings, it was set to stop monitoring after 4 hours. I'm not sure why that would be the default setting, but anyway, I changed it to Never.

2. In the transfer log, I do see some connection errors, from when my Internet went down, but then later on when the Internet came back online, it shows that it successfuly reconnected.I can send you the log, if that would be helpful.
By LogViewPlus Support - 1 Aug 2021

Thanks Brad.

The idea behind the timeout is that if you leave work for the day, you may not want to keep monitoring the same file - as polling the file does use some server resources.  4 hours is a bit of an arbitrary default, but it is hopefully enough time to complete analysis of a given log file.  8 - 10 hours might be a better default as 4 does occasionally lead to confusion.

I am not sure the transfer log would help right now, but thanks for the offer.  What I would like to do is understand what happens when the log file 'disappears'.  I believe that if we can get to the bottom of that issue - it will be easier to resolve the workspace corruption problem.

Can you monitor the log file and see what the SFTP log says if the issue happens again?  If the log file is being rolled or replaced, that may also be leading to some confusion.  Something to watch out for.

Toby

By SoBeGuy - 1 Aug 2021

It's definitely not updating in real time. For example, I deleted a file from the directory about 5 - 10 minutes ago, but it's still showing up in both panes.There seems to be something buggy with the directory monitoring function.
By SoBeGuy - 1 Aug 2021

These are the files that are currently in the directory:

And this is what LVP shows:

It makes no sense. Why is main.log showing up in both panes, after it was deleted from the server? Why does 08-01.log show up in the bottom pane, but not the top pane? Why is the bottom pane missing 07-28.log and 07-30.log? It's very difficul to work with this when nothing matches up.
By LogViewPlus Support - 2 Aug 2021

Hi Brad,

When LogViewPlus monitors files, the goal is not mirroring the file.  The goal is to collect all log entries written to the file since monitoring started.  If a log file is deleted, from the server monitoring should continue in case the file is recreated (as is often the case with log files).

If you want log entries to more closely mirror the log file, consider the "Clear all log entries when the log file is rolled" option in the Tail & Scroll settings.  However, note that if this setting is enabled, the file will continue to be monitored even if it has been removed from the server.

The only issue I can see from the from the screenshots above is that 08-01 is missing from the Log Files view, but shown in Monitoring.  That is very strange because closing the file should stop monitoring.  As mentioned above, I suspect your workspace has gotten corrupted through refreshes and LogViewPlus is confusing an old instance of the file with a newer, refreshed instance.

I assume the other files shown have timed out.  It is difficult to know what the problem is from the screenshot.  That is why I would like to try and narrow down the problem to what happened when the issues first started.  To do this, it may be necessary to restart LogViewPlus.

Toby

By SoBeGuy - 2 Aug 2021

When LogViewPlus monitors files, the goal is not mirroring the file. The goal is to collect all log entries written to the file since monitoring started. If a log file is deleted, from the server monitoring should continue in case the file is recreated (as is often the case with log files).

Understood. The problem is, the top pane doesn't give any indication of whether the file exists and the bottom pane displays a blank filename. This is inconsistent and extremely confusing. Instead, I'd suggest it continue displaying the file name in both panes, but dim and/or italicize the text and show a warning icon next to the file name, When hovering over the icon, it should display a tooltip like "This file no longer exists in the directory". There shoujld also be an option in the context menu to remove the file from the list, which should remove it from both panes.

Likewise, if monitoring times out on a file, instead of removing the file from the list, it should be displayed with a warning icon, to indicate that it's no longer being monitored. When you hover over this icon, it should display a tooltip like "This file is no longer being monitored because it has exceeded the monitoring time limit. To change this limit, navigate to Settings->Application->Tab & Scroll.". You could also provide a context menu option to restart monitoring.

I agree - indicators and tool-tips are clearly a much better way to handle environment status notifications.  Thanks for pointing this out Brad.  We are planning a release this week, but I will look into making these changes for the following release in a 2 - 3 months.  

You can remove a file from the monitoring list and it will not modify your view (but the target will no longer receive updates).  If you remove a file from your view, it should be removed from the monitoring list as well.  This is why I mentioned that it is file "08-01.log" in your screenshots which clearly shows that something is wrong.  You may have stopped monitoring the other files, but "08-01.log" should be in your view if it is in the monitoring list.  It appears to have been disconnected from the view and I am not sure how this occurred.  I suspect it occurred during a directory monitor or workspace refresh, but it would be good to try to narrow the problem down.
By SoBeGuy - 2 Aug 2021

There's a related issue that's happened to me several times now. The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke, but now it just happened again. Here are the steps to replicate it:

1. Create a new file called debug.log in an SFTP directoy that's already being monitored.
2. The file shows up in both panes.
3. Since the file is a custom JSON format, the dialog automatically opens for you to configure the template.
4. Using the wizard, configure it as custom JSON. Then save the template.

Here's where it gets interesting. When you click the Save button, the dialog closes and the LVP main window minimizes. I don't know why closing a dialog would cause the entire application to minimize, but that's what it does. After I click on the taskbar icon to bring the window back, I notice that  debug.log is no longer shown in the top pane. However, it still appears in the bottom pane.

No idea what's going on here. The file is definitely in the directory and it was displayed in the top pane prior to creating the template.

Can you please make sure you are using the latest BETA release?  I believe this issue has been resolved:
https://www.logviewplus.com/download.html
By SoBeGuy - 2 Aug 2021

I updated to the beta. The main window no longer minimizes after saving the formatter. However, the newly added file still disappears from the top pane.

This sounds like the issue we have been trying to recreate.  I have tried several times, but I am unable to reproduce the issue locally.  You seem to be able to recreate the issue pretty consistently, so there must be something I am missing.

If you run the Parser Wizard and save the parser configuration, the log file is refreshed.  As part of the refresh process the file is removed and re-added to the view.  It seems LogViewPlus is getting confused on the refresh.  

After the parser has been configured, are you able to open the file - possibly after a restart?  If you are able to open the file, what happens if you refresh it (F5)?  Are you opening the file directly or through a Directory Monitor or Workspace?  Is there another file with the same name open?  Are there any errors in the SFTP transfer log?

Sorry for all of the questions.  This is a very strange issue.
By SoBeGuy - 2 Aug 2021

1. If I close the workspace and reopen it, the file shows up again.
2. After reopening the workspace and selecting the file, clicking the Reload File button makes it disappear again. However, I just noticed, this happens with ALL files. Selecting any file and clicking Reload makes that file disappear from the top pane.
3. I'm not sure what you mean about Directory Monitor vs Workspace. This is a directory monitor configured within a workspace.
4. There are no other files with the same name.
5. There are no errors in the transfer log.

I have taken a closer look at this issue and am still struggling to recreate it.  I will continue investigating, but one thing I have noticed is that there can sometimes be a considerable delay between when the file is refreshed and when the download begins.  I am testing with large files, but the delay is a little strange.  Nothing major - 1 to 3 seconds max.  I am assuming that when you refresh the file never recovers.

There is also a time period where the file is downloaded before parsing begins.  LogViewPlus may seem like it is not busy during this period - especially if the transfer tab is not visible.  From your screenshots, I do not believe this is the case, but I thought it worth mentioning.

It might also be time to take a closer look at the transfer log and, possibly the SFTP server logs.  Does the re-download get triggered successfully?  Are there any signs of a deadlock?  I would be happy to take a look at these logs if you want to send them to me via email.
By SoBeGuy - 2 Aug 2021

I sent you one of the transfer logs. If you want to troubleshoot this further, I can execute a series of actions and then send you the log after. But at this point, I can't even keep track of everything we've discussed, so you'd have to send me a specific set of steps and instructions for what you want me to test.
By LogViewPlus Support - 3 Aug 2021

Thanks for the transfer log Brad.

I have added some additional transfer logging to the latest BETA release of LogViewPlus (v2.5.30). Can you please install this version and...

1. Open any file which has the issue.
2. Open the transfer log.
3. Clear the transfer log (F4).
4. Refresh the file opened in step 1 (F5).  This will hopefully recreate the issue.
5. Send me the log lines now displayed in the transfer log.

If possible, it would be good to execute the above steps after a restart as this would help ensure there is nothing else interfering with the test.

Thanks,

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 3 Aug 2021

OK, i sent it.
By LogViewPlus Support - 3 Aug 2021

Thanks Brad.

The file looks fine.  No sign of a deadlock or other download issues.  Have you seen this issue with local files?

I will need to think of the next steps.  I have not been able to recreate the issue even once nor have I had other customer reports.  You seem to be able to recreate the issue very easily.  This indicates to me that there is something different about your environment, but I am not sure what else it could be.  The remaining parts of the system should be constant across installations.

I will try and think of what else might be causing the issue.

Thanks for your help,

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 7 Aug 2021

There's nothing special about my client-side environment; it's just Windows 10.

Therefore, I suspect the issue is with the SFTP on the server side. Probably not many of your customers are using SFTP and if they are, they're using it with a Windows server. Mine is running on a Ubuntu 20 server. If you want, I could give you SFTP access to my server, so you can test it. I bet you could reproduce the issue just as easily as I can.
By LogViewPlus Support - 7 Aug 2021

I suspect you are correct which is why I added the additional logging.

Access is a big ask, but if you are happy that would be a massive help.  Please feel free to contact me via email.
By LogViewPlus Support - 9 Aug 2021

After connecting to the remote server, the issue was easy to replicate.  The problem was a race condition which was resolved in the latest BETA release - LogViewPlus v2.5.32.

Thanks again for your help identifying and resolving this issue Brad!

Toby