LogViewPlus Support

Delete Files from UI

https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/Topic1097.aspx

By SoBeGuy - 8 Aug 2021

I understand the principle that LVP is a log file viewer, not an editor, and generally it should not be writing to files.

HOWEVER, there are many times when you simply need to delete a log file, due to it being out-of-date, or you changed the format, or a million other reasons. It's inconvenient to have to manually go to the file system to perform the deletion. It would be much nicer and cleaner if you could simply right-click on the file in the LVP UI and select Delete from the context menu.Doing it this way would provide the additional benefit of having the file immediately removed from LVP, instead of deleting from the file system, then having to wait for LVP to recognize the deletion, etc...
By LogViewPlus Support - 9 Aug 2021

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the feedback.

I understand sometimes log files are disposable, but the idea of deleting a log file makes me a bit nervous.  It is important to remember that in production deleting a log file could be very a serious issue.  Information is lost and there could be compliance and legal issues as well.  The importance of a log file can range from junk to critical.

Right now, deleting a file takes two actions.  First, right-click on the file and select 'Open Directory'.  Second, press the 'Delete' key and confirm the deletion.  You could also cleanup files with a custom command

So, deleting a log file in LogViewPlus takes a little bit of work and I think this is probably about right.  In both cases, the user's intent is very clear.

What I would suggest instead is either removing the file from the view (possibly with the ESC key) or clearing the contents of the log file (F4).  These options help manage data while leaving the file system unchanged.

Hope that helps,

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 9 Aug 2021

OK, I'm sorry to keep harping on this, but it doesn't seem like a clean process. For example, I wanted to remove two obsolete files from a directory, so I did this:

1. Right clicked on one of the files and selected "Open Directory". The directory opened.

2. Deleted both files from the directory.

3. Closed the SFTP client. This caused the entire application to close. It seems to be the same bug that you recently fixed with closing the wizard.

4. Re-opened the application.

5. Now the bottom pane showed a blank filename for one of the deleted files. The other deleted file was not there. Why the inconsistency? The top pane also showed only one of the deleted files. Again, not consistent behavior.

6. Right-clicked on the blank file name in the bottom pane and selected "Cancel". This removed the file from the bottom pane, but it remained in the top pane.

7. Right-clicked on the file in the top pane and looked for an option in the context menu to remove the file from the pane. No remove option exists! So now I'm stuck with having my top pane cluttered up with an obsolete file that no longer even exists in the directory.

It's just way too many steps, inconsistent behavior, too much work to do something as simple as deleting a file, and in the end, you can't really get rid of it anyway. It shouldn't be this hard. It seems like you're trying to protect the user, or make it difficult / inconvenient for the user to do something that he may have a very good reason to do.What's wrong with displaying a simple confirmation dialog. "This will permanently delete the file from the disk. Are you sure want to proceed?" People accidentally delete files all the time. It happens, that's life. Beyond displaying a confirmation dialog, I don't think software should be in the business of being a nanny and second-guessing what the user wants to do.

Having a delete option would eliminate all these convolulted steps. It would be a single action that would delete the file from the disk, stop monitoring it in LVP and remove it from the file list in the top pane.
By LogViewPlus Support - 9 Aug 2021

So, there are a couple of things to pick up on here.

I don't think software should be in the business of being a nanny

I think this is a strong argument and I will consider it.  However, in general, I think that LogViewPlus should aim to be a 'read-only' application.  I don't consider steps 1 - 3 as too demanding.  For "Step 4", you could have just closed the view with either the Delete key or Esc (if enabled).

Closed the SFTP client. This caused the entire application to close.

The application closed or was minimized?  I have seen the minimize behavior before and I thought this was corrected in the latest version.  Closed is another problem and may indicate an application crash.  If so, there is likely information in your Windows Event Logs.

Step 6 is by design.  Closing from the transfer pane terminates the connection.  The file will no longer be monitored (tail will be disabled), but the view will remain.

Step 7 - the option you are looking for is 'Close' or 'Close View'.  Closing the view will automatically remove the transfer (step 6).

We have discussed in another thread the need to better convey the state of the remote file system.  I think this is a good idea and if this feature were in place it might help with some of the issues you highlighted above.

Toby

Update: Edited formatting.
By SoBeGuy - 9 Aug 2021

I agree it should be read-only in terms of not creating or editing files, as that would be outside the scope of a log viewer. However, the ability to delete unwanted files would be within scope. The purpose of a log viewer is to make it convenient to consume log files. Part of being convenient includes organizing the files, which in turn, should include the ability to delete unwanted or obsolete files. Indeed, it already includes this capability in the built-in SFTP client. It's just not convenient to access it, and even after you delete a file, you still have to perform additional steps to remove it from the panes in the main window.

I don't consider steps 1 - 3 as too demanding. For "Step 4", you could have just closed the view with either the Delete key or Esc

Steps 1 - 3 are not extremely demanding, though certainly not as convenient as having a delete option in the context menu. The problem, as I mentioned above, is that after physically deleting the file, you still have to perfrom additonal steps to remove it from the UI.Regarding Step 4, I'm not sure what you mean about the Delete or Esc keys? The problem is that closing the SFTP client minimizes the main window. And yes, I should have said "minimized", not closed. It was still running in the system tray.

Step 6 is by design. Closing from the transfer pane terminates the connection. The file will no longer be monitored (tail will be disabled), but the view will remain.

Yes, I understand it's by design and I don't disagree with the design. There are times when you may want to stop monitoring a file, but leave it in the top pane, so that's fine. My problem is, when you DELETE a file, you're in effect saying, "I'm done with this file. I don't want to see it anymore anywhere. I want it gone.". It's frustrating to delete a file and then have to perform several additoinal step to remove it from the viewer. As I mentioned, it makes the process feel convoluted and messy, like I deleted this file, why is it still here? Therefore, I envision the context-menu Delete function as being a shortcut to performing all these steps in a single operation.

Step 7 - the option you are looking for is 'Close' or 'Close View'. Closing the view will automatically remove the transfer (step 6)

Yes, I see that now. That close option also appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, which due to its location in the UI, I interpreted as a "Close Workspace" function. Close "View" is a confusing term. What is a view? I assume it could be either a file or a filter, so instead of using the broad term "View", I'd suggest that it change based on what's currently selected. If you have a file selected, it should say Close File. If you have a filter selected, it should say Close Filter.

By LogViewPlus Support - 10 Aug 2021

I'm not sure what you mean about the Delete or Esc keys?

These are the shortcut keys for closing the current view.  'Delete' key is the default shortcut for closing the view.  This is problematic if we were to add a Delete command because the obvious shortcut would remain mapped to something else.  It is very common for users to close a view with the 'Delete' key.  This is to say that you are 'done' with the view.

The problem is that closing the SFTP client minimizes the main window.

This was definitely a problem with v2.5.22, but it should be resolved in the latest release.  I just tested 20-30 times locally by connecting to a remote server, and opening the Explorer a few times.  I closed with the close button (upper right) and Cancel command (lower right) and was unable to recreate. 

Are you sure you are running the latest version?  This release of LogViewPlus changed the installer.  It is possible you have two instances installed and might be running the wrong one.

I interpreted as a "Close Workspace" function. Close "View" is a confusing term. What is a view?

That is a good point. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The button predates "Workspaces" in LogViewPlus and we also have plans to allow users to open multiple workspaces. I will remove this command from the next release.

I can also see why the 'View' term is confusing. I will get this changed as well.

when you DELETE a file, you're in effect saying, "I'm done with this file. I don't want to see it anymore anywhere. I want it gone."

This is a tricky statement.  I agree with it as written, but it is very common for applications to delete the previous / old log file on startup.  Files can also be rolled which might temporarily appear as a deletion.  LogViewPlus should absolutely not detect this as an indication that it should be removed from the view.  Users are frequently interested in old log entries and a very common use case is, "I found an error and I want to see if this change fixes it."

We have an application setting which controls whether or not the log entries should be cleared when the log file is rolled.  I was trying to think if this setting could be reused or another setting added, but I think this issue is significantly different. 

It's frustrating to delete a file and then have to perform several additoinal step to remove it from the viewer.

I think this is really the core of the problem and I would like to make the process better.  The problem is a little more complicated then it may sound due to the issues discussed in this thread.

The best idea I can think of for the moment is to add a built-in external command type.  Something like "LVP_DELETE %{SELECTED_FILE}".  Once configured, commands are available in the context menu and I can see where "Built-in Commands" might make sense because we have a SSH session open already.  Also, the UI may need to react to the command rather than just the file system action. 

It would make this a 'niche' feature that you need to opt-in to and configure, but I think it would give you the convenience you are looking for.  It would also give us flexibility to add similar functionality going forward.

Would this approach work for you?

Sorry for the long reply - we are covering a lot of ground in this thread.  :-)

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 10 Aug 2021

These are the shortcut keys for closing the current view. 'Delete' key is the default shortcut for closing the view. This is problematic if we were to add a Delete command because the obvious shortcut would remain mapped to something else. It is very common for users to close a view with the 'Delete' key. This is to say that you are 'done' with the view.

You could make it Shift-Delete. This would make sense, since physically deleting a file would then require more "effort" than just removing it from the view. Holding down the Shift key would be like an extra confirmation that you really want to delete the file and remove it from the workspace.

Are you sure you are running the latest version? This release of LogViewPlus changed the installer. It is possible you have two instances installed and might be running the wrong one.

I was using the latest beta that you posted. I'll let you know if it happens again.

This is a tricky statement. I agree with it as written, but it is very common for applications to delete the previous / old log file on startup. Files can also be rolled which might temporarily appear as a deletion. LogViewPlus should absolutely not detect this as an indication that it should be removed from the view. Users are frequently interested in old log entries and a very common use case is, "I found an error and I want to see if this change fixes it."

OK, but there's a big difference between LVP detecting a deleted file on its own vs the user explicitly deleting a file in the UI.

It would make this a 'niche' feature that you need to opt-in to and configure, but I think it would give you the convenience you are looking for. It would also give us flexibility to add similar functionality going forward.

I don't know. It sounds like a lot of work on your end to develop and maintain what's essentially a hack. External commands can be useful for users who need certain functionality that's unique to them, but I feel like the ability to delete a file would be used by many people and should be a native feature. If you're concerned that people might accidentally delete stuff, you could add a preference setting to enable the feature and leave it disabled by default. I think this would be a lot cleaner than an external command.

By LogViewPlus Support - 10 Aug 2021

Thanks Brad.  I think you are probably right on all counts.  I will have a think about it and see what I can come up with.  I will post back here when I have something ready in beta.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 10 Aug 2021

On a related issue, if you delete a file from the file system, then remove it from the File Transfers pane, what happens if the file is later recreated in the monitored directory? Does LVP maintain a memory of removed files, or should the file automatically reappear? Hopefully, the latter.

I'm asking because yesterday, I deleted a file and removed it from the File Transfers pane. Today, that file was recreated, but it hasn't reappeared in LVP. Since LVP is monitoring the directory and since I haven't knowingly created any rule to exclude that file, why isn't it showing up?

The file DOES come back after reloading the workspace, but it should show up automatically as part of the directory monitoring process.
By LogViewPlus Support - 11 Aug 2021

The transfers pane is used to monitor a particular file on a remote file system.  It has no concept of a deleted file as it is also monitoring for creation.  If you remove the monitor you have explicitly disabled it, so the current behavior is correct.  It should not automatically reappear.

When the directory monitor discovers a new file, an event is raised and LogViewPlus can see that you already have the file open in your main view.  No further work is necessary. 

The transfer pane is not part of the directory monitoring logic.  It is part of the file monitoring logic.

If you would like to re-establish the transfer connection, try refreshing the file or closing files which are not syncing from the main view and refreshing the directory monitor.

Hope that helps,

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 11 Aug 2021

I guess I'm not understanding the purpose of the filte transfer pane in relation to directory monitor. Why do we need two separate functions? Instead, why not have a single monitoring function that can monitor any path, whether it's a directory, a file, or a file name pattern. If it's a directory path, then you're monitoring the entire directory, so all files in the directory would be listed in the monitor. Now, if you want to exclude a particular file, or a particular sub-folder from monitoring, you coud click on the "eye" icon for that path. The path/file would still be visible in the pane, but there would be a slash through the eye or something, to indicate that it's not being monitored. In fact, in the file transfer pane, each file has an eye icon, which I assumed was for this exact purpose, yet it seems to be non-functional, so I don't understand why it's even displayed.

This approach would give you a live view of whatever you're actually monitoring, automatically updating as files are added or removed. If a new file appears that matches the pattern, it might be displayed in bold type for a period of time, to alert the user that a new file is being monitored. If a file is deleted, it could be displayed dimmed out, as we previously discussed, and perhaps after a specified amount of time, it could automatically disappear from the list. That way, you could see exactly what files are in the monitoring path, which ones are being monitored, which ones have recently appeared and which ones were recently deleted. The current approach seems cumbersome and redundant, in that you have two separate monitoring functions that sort of interact with one another, but not really. For example, If I delete a file, I want it removed from the file transfer pane, because it makes no sense to display a file that no longer exists However, if the file is later recreated, it should reappear automatically. The current behavior seems non-intuitive to me.

One problem to consider is this: open a log file, terminate monitoring, write some entries to the log file, roll the log file, start monitoring.  What is the state of the log file you are viewing?  Do you have a complete list of log entries in the time range shown?  I believe that you may end up with a corrupted view.

For this reason, it doesn't really make sense to 'restart monitoring' on a log file.  It could potentially lead to a lot of confusion for the end user.  Also, local files do not have file transfers and do not appear in the 'monitoring' pane.

The directory monitor is responsible for opening all matching files.  An opened file may be monitored.  So the relationship is Directory -> File -> Monitor.  If monitoring is terminated, it can be restarted by refreshing the file with F5.

Does that make sense?  It may help if you can give me an idea of the use case you are trying to achieve.

If I delete a file, I want it removed from the file transfer pane, because it makes no sense to display a file that no longer exists

As previously discussed, the log file in the view should display all log entries since monitoring started.  If a file is deleted, it can be recreated.  Therefore, monitoring should not be terminated.
By SoBeGuy - 11 Aug 2021

This is related to the delete feature we've been discussing. Currently, I'm performing the steps manually and not getting the expected outcome.

I'm not suggesting to restart monitoring. I'm suggesting that when you delete a file, remove it from the file transfer pane, and remove it from the log files list, that it should be as if it never existed in the first place. Therefore, if the file is later recreated, the directory monitor should pick  it up and add it to the file transfer pane as a new file.

Honestly, this isn't a huge deal. As you mentioned, it can be refreshed manually. However, it's nicer when things just work without manual intervention. My main point is that when you physically delete a file, remove it form the file transfer pane and remove it from the log files pane, there should be no memory of the file. If it reappears, it should be treated as a new file.

Thanks for the clarification.  I think there are a couple of work items outstanding on this issue - including a command to delete the file and improved visual indicators.  Let's get the next version out and go from there.
By LogViewPlus Support - 7 Sep 2021

Hi Brad,

I just wanted to let you know that we have now released LogViewPlus 2.5.34 as a BETA release.  This release includes a new 'File System' context menu which consolidates file system actions and adds a new 'Delete' command.

I think the 'File System' context menu approach makes the user intent clear while also giving room to expand in the future.  Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Hope that helps,

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 7 Sep 2021

Thanks, Toby, the screenshot looks great!

I noticed the installer wants to install it into Program Files (x86), while the previous version installed into the x64 directory. Why is that happening? I don't want to end up with two different versions installed in different directories.
By LogViewPlus Support - 7 Sep 2021

The 'Program Files' target has changed in this release.  This is an unfortunate side effect of migrating to an admin-free installer.  You will need to manually uninstall the previous version before upgrading.

Note that LogViewPlus will still run as a 64-bit program on a 64-bit OS.
By SoBeGuy - 7 Sep 2021

The new Delete option works well. It would be nice if it supported deleting multiple files via shift-select. I had to clean out like 20 files today. I tried the Delete on one and it worked great. Then I tried shift-select and it was no-go, so I used the Open Directory option to open the file manager. I was able to shift-select and delete them using the File Manager, but of course, when I returned to the main window, the files were all still listed there, and lots of blank entries in the monitor pane.I was able to clean everything up by closing and re-opening the workspace, but it doesn't seem elegant.
By LogViewPlus Support - 8 Sep 2021

Thanks for the feedback Brad.  

Shift-selecting multiple log files is something that has been on our list for awhile as it would make tasks like merging easier.  Once we get this implemented, supporting the Delete option makes sense.

For this release, I will take a look at handling the delete events generated in the Log Explorer more elegantly.  It makes sense that files removed via Log Explorer are also removed from the view.
By LogViewPlus Support - 9 Sep 2021

Hi Brad,

We have just released LogViewPlus v2.5.35 as a BETA release. This release tracks file deletions made from the Log Explorer and updates LogViewPlus accordingly.

Hope that helps,

Toby
By SoBeGuy - 10 Oct 2023

When I delete files from Log Explorer, they remain visible in the File Transfers pane, but they have a warning symbol. They also remain visible in the Log Files & Filters pane. The only way I've found to get rid of them is to close and reopen the entire workspace. It would be great if there was a Sync button in the toolbar that would sync the files displayed in both panes with the file system. So any deleted files would be removed from both panes. It would also be nice if there was a preference setting to do this automatically. So instead of continuing to display the files with the warning symbol, it would just remove them from both panes.
By LogViewPlus Support - 11 Oct 2023

I think the issue here is that a file removed from the server could be recreated.  It's not clear that LogViewPlus should stop monitoring the file just because it has been deleted.

If you delete the file from the File System menu:

LogViewPlus will remove the file from the server and close the view which will also remove the active transfer.  If you work with a large number of files, it might also may make sense for you to group your files into a Category and close all files in the category.

If you remove the file any other way, LogViewPlus will assume that it should continue to monitor the file.  If you right-click in the transfer pane, you should see an option to cancel the transfer:

The same effect can be achieved by selecting the transfer and pressing the Delete key.  Alternatively, you can close the log file in Log Files & Filters view.

Hopefully one of those options will help.  I am not sure a Sync command is really needed.
By SoBeGuy - 11 Oct 2023

My system generates a new log file each day. These log files are correctly picked up by LVP, but I don't want them hanging around indefinitely. Obviously, they use up space on the server and more importantly, they clutter up the LVP file pane. Therefore, I need a way to remove these files from LVP. Ideally, this would happen automatically through some type of log file rotation system managed by LVP. I realize that would be a major project, so for now, a Sync button would be extremely helpful. I understand that deleting a file using the Delete File option will remove it from LVP, but it's not convenient to have to remove them one at a time. If LVP supported multiple file selection with a delete option, that would also be fine.

I don't understand the justification that a file could be recreated. If it's recreated, LVP would pick it up again, just like it picks up any other new file. I'm monitoring directories, not individual files, so perhaps you could make it handle directory-monitored files automatically. The simplest approach would be to always keep the directory in-sync with what's displayed in LVP. If a file is deleted, either manually through the LVP interface, or through log file rotation on the server, it should also be deleted from the LP File Transfer and Log Files & Filters panes. If the file is later recreated, then of course, the directory monitor would pick it up again.
By LogViewPlus Support - 12 Oct 2023

Using a Directory Monitor is an interesting idea, but I think adding a new configuration option would further complicate usage.  There are lots of edge cases with Directory Monitors.  We really try to keep that feature as simple as we can.

We could maybe add an option to the close menu:

I think the biggest problem here would be naming it something intuitive.  "Close All Deleted" is a little confusing.  I will need to think about it. 
By SoBeGuy - 12 Oct 2023

That would be an improvement, but it would require the user to manually execute the task periodically, when LVP should really handle this automatically. The more I think about it, the more I believe the directory monitor approach is the way to go. For me, this is the cleanest and most intuitive approach. The purpose of a directory monitor is to monitor the files currently in the directory. It’s able to automatically add files when they appear, so why not have the option to automatically remove them when they disappear? The setting could be called “Automatically remove deleted files”.

Log file rotation is a standard use case. Different users may have different retention policies, but when a file is deleted, that’s a pretty strong indication that it’s no longer needed, so LVP should be smart enough to remove it automatically.
By LogViewPlus Support - 12 Oct 2023

Logs can also be renamed or moved and it would be difficult for LogViewPlus to distinguish these actions from a delete.  Some of these actions may be triggered by other team members without the LVP user's knowledge.  Also, a user may want to continue looking at a log file's contents even if the source data is missing.  One thing we definitely do not want to do is automatically close a view when a user is in the middle of an analysis.

The 'remove deleted' setting does make sense as part of a directory monitor.  However, this is a very old feature and nobody has requested this behaviour before.  That leads me to believe that this is an edge case.  I do not want to complicate the directory monitor configuration without being more confident in the usefulness of this feature. 
By LogViewPlus Support - 30 Nov 2023

Hi Brad,

Just wanted to let you know that we have now released LogViewPlus v3.0.24 as a BETA release.

This release gives you a few more options for closing views.  First, you can now Ctrl+Click on multiple items in the Files & Filters view.  This feature is discussed in another thread, but the idea is that you can now more easily work with groups of files:

We have also added a new "Resynchronize" option to the directory monitor:

The idea behind the Resynchronize command is that we want to mirror the state of the target directory.  So it will do more than just close hanging log files.  It will actually close all log files which have been opened by the directory monitor and then re-apply the directory monitor.  It is similar to executing the "Close All Files" command followed by the "Reload" command, but files will be refreshed where possible - which should preserve filters.

Hope that helps,

Toby

By SoBeGuy - 2 Dec 2023

I deleted a bunch of files using the LVP file system utility. Then I selected Resynchronize in the directory monitor, but it did absolutely nothing. All the deleted files remain visible in the Files & Filters pane.

As an aside, I find it odd that there's both a Resynchronize option and a Reload option. I realize they perform slightly different functions, but it's confusing to me and would probably be confusing to others as well. For instance, under what circumstance would you want to reload the directory monitor but NOT resynchronize it? I think these should be consolidated into a single function.
By LogViewPlus Support - 5 Dec 2023

Thanks Brad. We have just released a new BETA version v3.0.26, can you please try again?

I wasn't able to recreate the issue directly, but v3.0.25 had a bug with how files were tracked and I think this was the problem.

I also find Resynchronize / Reload a bit confusing. The reload function is if you close a file because you don't need it and later decide you do. In this case you want to reapply the directory monitor without making any other changes to any of the other files. Importantly, you don't want to remove log entries for a file which has been rolled because the target file no longer contains the log entries you may need.

Alternatively, I could close a file and Reload the monitor to mirror the file system, but only for that specific file. Other files could still show the rolled entries.

Resynchronize is more extreme. Everything gets closed and reopened such that when the operation completes all files will mirror the source files.

I think both commands serve a purpose, but I would like to make the intention more clear. Maybe "Hard Reload" / "Soft Reload" would be better? I have renamed the commands in the latest BETA.

In summary:
Soft Reload = Reopen closed files.
Hard Reload = Close and reopen everything.
By SoBeGuy - 5 Dec 2023

I tried Hard Reload, but it's still not removing the deleted files from the Log Files & Filters list. The deleted files are in a subdirectory of the monitored directory, so perhaps it's not checking the directories recursively.
By LogViewPlus Support - 7 Dec 2023

Thanks Brad. We have just released a new BETA version v3.0.27, can you please try again?

This time I was able to recreate the issue.  There was an problem with identification of remote log files.  This could have been impacting other features, so it's a good bug to fix.

Thanks for your help with this one Brad!  Apologies for the back and forth.
By SoBeGuy - 7 Dec 2023

It works now, thanks!
By LogViewPlus Support - 7 Dec 2023

Glad to hear it Brad - third times a charm. Smile  Thanks for the suggestion!