Message text changes font size

Author
samaursa
Gaining Respect (107 reputation)Gaining Respect (107 reputation)Gaining Respect (107 reputation)Gaining Respect (107 reputation)Gaining Respect (107 reputation)Gaining Respect (107 reputation)Gaining Respect (107 reputation)Gaining Respect (107 reputation)Gaining Respect (107 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Not sure why, but some messages in the log change their font size. Is there such a feature in LogViewPlus where it automatically tries to format the text? If yes, how can I turn this off?

Here you can see that the messages have different font size. The correct font size is that of the message in the middle.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Samaursa,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

I believe this is a bug which has been fixed in the latest beta release - v2.6.1.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Edited 2 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
Brad Konia
Brad Konia
I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)
Whatever you changed in 2.6.1 made it worse for me. I now have these weird giant fonts in different areas of the application. I tried reducing the font size, but that just made some of the text so small as to be unreadable, while the giant text in other areas is still huge.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
That's very strange Brad - I haven't seen LogViewPlus displayed like that before.  What are your display settings?  Does the problem persist after restarting LogViewPlus? Note that LogViewPlus may need to be restarted after modifying display settings.
Brad Konia
Brad Konia
I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)I'm into this (346 reputation)
Yes, the issue persisted even after rebooting. Then I downgraded to 2.6.0 and everything was normal again. Tried reinstalling 2.6.1 and got huge fonts, so now I'm back to 2.6.0.

In terms of display settings, it's running in a Parallels virtual machine, so the display settings are managed by Parallels. It's set to the default, which has always worked perfectly. I've never had this issue with any other application, nor has this happened in any version of LVP, other than 2.6.1.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks Brad,

We have had reports of issues with LogViewPlus scaling when run over an RDP connection and I suspect this is a similar issue.

There is a lot of communication happening between the controls displayed and Windows.  It is actually Windows which instructs the controls regarding how they should be scaled.  The screenshot you attached above is particularly interesting because I can see different fonts used by the same control types.  That is particularly strange and indicates that Windows is not sure how to scale the controls.

What I would suggest is adding the DisableScaling flag to the shortcut you use to start LogViewPlus:
logviewplus.exe -DisableScaling

This will run LogViewPlus in a less sophisticated mode.  LogViewPlus should display fine, but the text will not be as crisp.

We do not currently have plans to support scaling LogViewPlus in RDP like scenarios.  I will look into disabling scaling automatically when LogViewPlus is running over RDP and a high DPI is detected, but I am not sure if this change will help with the Parallels VM.

Hope that helps.  Thanks for reporting this issue Brad.

Toby
Brad Konia
Brad Konia
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
That's a good idea - thanks!

As a temporary solution, if you create your own shortcut, this should not be replaced when updating.

As mentioned, I will also look into applying this setting automatically when LogViewPlus detects scenarios where it is unlikely to display correctly.
Edited 2 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Brad,

Just a quick update to let you know that the 2.6.2 BETA release is now available.

This release includes two new settings:

The first settings turns DPI scaling on or off.  This effectively replaces the DisableScaling flag mentioned above.

The second controls DirectX rendering.  DirectX rendering is recommend as it is faster and usually provides a better visual experience.  However, it may cause issues when displaying in some environments such as RDP or virtual machines.

These two settings should provide much more control over the display experience.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Brad Konia
Brad Konia
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...