Can't open files from most folders with Update 2.6.3

Author
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for confirming.

We have now promoted 2.6.5 to a full release.  Some testing is still ongoing, but we wanted to release early due to the severity of the issue.

Thanks again to everyone on this thread for your help!

Toby
RVACodeMonkey
RVACodeMonkey
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks for the help, Toby.
The 2.6.5 beta version you linked appears to have fixed the issue. I can double-click, drag-and-drop, and file->open log files as before. No elevated permissions necessary.

Edited 2 Years Ago by RVACodeMonkey
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)
Glad to hear it - thanks for letting me know!
Memnarch1113
Memnarch1113
New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)
Hi Toby,
I just got the 2.6.5 beta installed and it works for me. Thanks, as always, for your help!!

If it helps you, I tried 2.6.1 beta and it did NOT work, same symptoms. Then I tried 2.6.2 beta and it also did NOT work. Immediately after I re-installed 2.6.5 beta and it is back to working. So I'm all set for the moment.
Edited 2 Years Ago by Memnarch1113
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus 2.6.5 BETA is now available for download.  This version addresses the path issue discussed above.

As also shown above, we have also introduced a "Workspace Issues" view which will hopefully provide better insight into these kinds of problems in future.  We currently do not have all of the edge cases covered, but it is a start.

As this is a critical issue we will be looking to put this version into full release later this week.

Hope that helps.  Please do let me know if you continue to have issues - but also it would be great if someone could confirm the fix.

Toby
Andrii Vdovenko
Andrii Vdovenko
Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)
"Workspace issues" is coooooool! 
Thank you!
I'm waiting for the new update.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks Andrii.

Yes - that does look like the same issue.

We are on it:

We are aiming to have a BETA release later today.

Toby
Edited 2 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
Andrii Vdovenko
Andrii Vdovenko
Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)Junior Member (70 reputation)
Hello everyone.

I suppose, I am experimenting with the same issue: if the path name contains space symbol, LVP just ignoring it.
You can see the issue and fixing on the video in attach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBr68MeCGK4LogViewerPlus v2.6.3 don't open file with "Space" symbol in path

And I have a big-big request to LVP developers: please show error notifications.
In any suspicious and irregular case, please show error messages.
Especially if LVP just ignoring user action, at least, explain why.

By the way, where is LogViewerPlus storing its own logs?
Edited 2 Years Ago by Andrii Vdovenko
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks Chris - that's a big help!

I tested in my local Program Files directory and I believe I was able to recreate the issue.  Just prior to the 2.6.1 release we modified one of our URI validation steps.  The new version is URI escaping, so 'Program Files' becomes 'Program%20Files' which doesn't exist.  LogViewPlus does not consider this an error because sometimes log files do not exist for one reason or another so the application fails silently (these types of decisions need better visibility).

This is likely to be the root of the problem that everyone is experiencing on this thread.  If you are having issues with a path that does not contain spaces, or other characters that need to be URI escaped, then please let me know.

As this is a critical issue we will try and get a release out as soon as possible.  I will look into creating a BETA release tomorrow.

Thanks for your help everyone! 

Toby

Chris Martin
Chris Martin
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
I'm seeing this issue as well.  My machine is Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2.  Files are all network shares.  I usually don't have a need to open anything locally, so everything I tried wasn't working.  I can try to find out the OS these file shares are running if it would help.
I just tried a couple of local files.  I was able to open a log file for an application inside my appData\Local folder and a file inside my Downloads folder.  It failed to open a log file for a program inside C:\Program Files.  I cannot open this file when running LogViewPlus as admin either.

For now, I'll downgrade to 2.6.0, but I'm willing to help test if needed.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...