Problems in Font Rendering and Size on 4K monitor

Author
BradJ
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I downloaded the trial version today and have been dealing with Font rendering and  size issues on my 4K monitor. I have 3 4k monitors in a multi-monitor setup on Win 10.
My middle monitor has the windows scale set to 175%.

Firstly the toolbox tab and the Log Entry Grid rows were cut off. I turned off Enable DirectX enhanced rendering, restarted the app and that resolved.

My main issue is the size of the text in the Log Entry View. Its tiny. Changing the setting "Log Entry Display Font" seems to do nothing. I change the font, I change the size nothing changes the font that is being displayed.

If I drag the application onto one of my side monitors (whose scale is set at 150%) it becomes very readable.
Oh! If I drag it back to my main monitor it stays readable. There's my workaround..

Lastly when I start the app and its showing me Workspaces, Recent Directories, etc, the font is tiny as well.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Brad,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Unfortunately this is an ongoing issue which was discussed previously on the forum.  There have been no significant changes since that discussion.

You should be able to resolve the issue by disabling Windows control scaling in application settings.  After disabling this setting and restarting LogViewPlus the controls should be scaled correctly, but the text may appear blurry.

LogViewPlus is frequently tested on a 3 monitor setup where each monitor has a separate scaling factor.  In this environment, the controls are scaled correctly.  We are getting multiple reports of problems, but the source of the problem is difficult to track down.

Hope that helps,

Toby
ringli
ringli
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Hello,

I tested LogviewPlus for the first time today and encountered the above problem on my 4K monitor.

My guess is that it might be related to the incomplete manifest in LogViewPlus. I have attached the original LogViewPlus manifest and my modified manifest. If you compare the two manifests, the differences become clearly visible.

Kind regards
Dieter
Attachments
Manifests.zip (145 views, 1.00 KB)
Edited 2 Years Ago by ringli
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Nice one Ringli - I appreciate you taking a look and sharing your settings.

I will need to research these settings and get back to you.  We set some of these settings internally which gives us more control through application settings.  It will take some work to see where the differences are. 

Can you give me more details on how you are running LogViewPlus (version, monitor layout, etc) and where you saw an improvement with your suggested configuration?

Thanks again,

Toby
ringli
ringli
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
I have only tested LogViewPlus in the Windows Sandbox so far. My attempts to replace the manifest in LogViewPlus.exe with resource editors have unfortunately failed so far. After the exchange LogViewPlus unfortunately did not start anymore.

Therefore I can't tell you if replacing the manifest is successful and fixes the scaling problems. However, if you create a test file for me with replaced manifest, I will be happy to test it.

I use the actual manifest myself in my own applications, but I can't answer if it fixes the scaling problems with LogViewPlus.

Kind regard
Dieter
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for the update Dieter.

The settings in the updated manifest file which are specific to DPI settings (dpiAware, dpiAwareness) are set by the application in code rather than in the manifest file.

LogViewPlus is a DPI aware application.  We test regularly a multiple monitor setup with a 4K screen at 150% DPI.  We also test other scenarios less frequently.  The application scales well in our test scenarios.

However, we are aware that some customers continue to have issues.  Unfortunately, these issues seem to be down to peculiarities specific to the target machine.  We have not yet been able to recreate these issues or identify the settings which are causing them.

So the problem remains difficult to track down.  If you are running LogViewPlus in a Windows Sandbox, this might be part of the problem.

Hope that helps,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...