Finding pairs of log entries

Author
BlueSprint
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I am new to Logviewplus and testing to see if it can find pairs or start and stop entries throughout a log file.

For example, after a log header line, there are then dates/ times, debug message in a structured format which I have no problem with.

The next part of each line then has "starting import of file" and a file path and name. At some point elsewhere in the log will be a corresponding "finished import of file" and exactly the same path and filename.   

What I am trying to achieve is to find any "starting import of file", that do not have a corresponding "finished import of file". I.e. anything that did not complete.

I figure I might me able to do this with grouping perhaps. Can anyone give me any clues if this is possible with logviewplus and how?

Thanks in advance
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi,

If you are just looking for an inconsistent start / stop pattern, you could create a filter for the start, a filter for the end, and then merge these two filters together.  This should give a clear indication of where there is an inconsistency as the log entries shown should display a clear pattern of start, end, start, end, etc...  To see the entries between a given start / end block right click two of the log entries and select Filter Between.

As an additional step, you could consider color coding the log entries.

Isolating the log entries in between the start / stop statements automatically is an interesting use case.  We have plans to support this as part of a new advanced rule type, but I don't think we will be able to action this before the 3.0 release.

Hope that helps,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...