Merging with columns

Author
IvanW
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My goal is that I want multiple columns from different log messages. Ie message one might have ping: 1000 and message two might have RTT: 50. I want to be able to see both of these together with their custom columns so that I can graph the 2 numbers.

I tried creating two filters, one for each message type, and then merging, but the columns disappear in the merge.

Is there a way to do a JOIN basically across these 2 items so than I can see that data broken out and graph them?

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Ivan,

The problem here is that the data is split across two separate log messages.  There is no way to associate data from one message as being related to data in another, so joining the data would not make sense.  Adding the ability to configure this relationship is something we are not currently considering as we want to keep LogViewPlus simple where possible.

You could graph the data over time and that might produce a meaningful result.  To do this, you would need to apply a single view (filter) which contains all of the necessary data.  Currently, the only way to do is by parsing the log file such that all columns are found in all log entries (possibly with an empty value).  Parsing the log message will not work because Parse Message filters revert to the default column view when joined.

Short of that, the only other solution would be to graph the two data sets separately.  This is not ideal as the user would then need to 'visually' merge the data, but this could still be useful in some situations.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Edited 10 Months Ago by LogViewPlus Support
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...