Unrecoverable error in WHERE clause

Author
haix
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I guess this is a reporting a bug and finding out if anyone else experiences the same issue:

Loading a log file 

Given a simple data set from a server log file:
message = path to file accessed
response = HTTP response code

SELECT DISTINCT message, COUNT(message) TheCount, method
FROM CurrentView
WHERE response = '200'
-- AND TheCount > 20 --> LogViewPlus crashes with this
GROUP BY message
ORDER BY TheCount DESC
;

With the addition of AND TheCount > 20 the system crashes.  Error reporting upload not possible due to 404 error.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Haix,

Thanks for reporting this issue. 

First, the correct way to execute this SQL statement would be to use the HAVING clause.  For example:
SELECT DISTINCT message, COUNT(message) TheCount, method
FROM CurrentView
WHERE response = '200'
GROUP BY message
HAVING TheCount > 20
ORDER BY TheCount DESC

However, LogViewPlus should fail more gracefully.  I ran a few tests, and LogViewPlus gracefully reported a "COUNT method not found' error.  I will continue testing to try and recreate an application failure.

The issue with error reporting can happen if the application does not have proxy server access or is blocked by antivirus. As a work around, you could email me the error.report file found in the %AppData%\LogViewPlus directory.  To do this, we would need to first start an email thread.

Thanks again,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...