Improve Best Fit (all columns)

Author
barnic
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am not sure to understand exactly what "Best Fit (all columns)" is doing.
I would expect this function to apply a "Best Fit" to all columns, as if I would have applied a Best Fit to every column, one after the other, expect the right most one.
But if I choose to apply "Best Fit (all columns)", that's not what I get...

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Barnic,

This behaviour is provided by a third party.  Their documentation states that the Best Fit action "Adjusts column widths so that columns fit their content in the optimal way."  I am not familiar with the algorithm they use to determine 'optimal' column widths.  In my testing, the feature provides a good starting point from which manual adjustments can be made.

Hope that helps,

Toby
barnic
barnic
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Hi Toby,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I was doing the same as you but I finally find it faster to apply "Best fit" to all my columns except the last one (generally Message), for every log file or merge I open.
So their optimal way is not mine!
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Moderators
That's interesting - thanks for the info.  The message column is special, so it makes sense that you would treat it differently.  I will look into that as maybe we would be better off managing this behaviour with a different algorithm.
Edited 5 Months Ago by LogViewPlus Support
barnic
barnic
ok, great!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...