Possible memory leak

Author
symphara
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Today I had work with log files around 1-1.4Gbytes.

Opening, closing, opening a new log, closing (cycle a few) will result in the application saying there's not enough memory to open, when there's currently nothing open.

Closing the application and trying the very same log file works, immediately after restart.

It would seem there's residual data left or something to do with memory management.

Running v3.1 under Windows 10.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for reporting this issue.

I just ran a test with opening and closing a 1 GB log file and LogViewPlus seems to be releasing memory OK according to Task Manager.  What are you doing when you work with the log files?  Just basic filters?  Are you using SQL reports?

Is it LogViewPlus that is complaining about memory?  We added some new code in 3.1 to try to guard against memory leaks.  This code might be reporting incorrectly.

Also, if you are not already familiar with LogViewPlus performance, it may be worth learning more about the Performance Profile

Thanks again,

Toby

symphara
symphara
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Hello Toby,

The log files do not have a complicated format (it's something like <timestamp>|<thread_id>|<message> ), they're just large. In terms of filtering, when it does open the log, I only use simple filters (bit of text or thread). No SQL.

To reiterate, this use case is LogViewPlus having nothing open, trying to open a log => not enough memory. It's LogViewPlus displaying the dialog box (not, say, Windows). Close the application, restart it, open the same log => it works fine. After closing and opening a few times, it does it again.

I read the page you provided but it doesn't seem to apply. It's not performance per se that's the issue.

The computer in question has 24Gb of RAM of which 14Gb are free, as per Process Explorer. That's with my work environment including a fresh launch of LogViewPlus but without any log file loaded. In any case, there should be enough to load my example even if it uses several times the memory space for holding processed data.

It's not a big issue since I can restart the application, just a quality of life improvement.

Thanks for the attention!

PS: Actually I just did a very small test with a ~1.4Gb file. After opening and closing it, Process Explorer shows the memory usage at over 800Mb, with nothing open.
Edited 3 Months Ago by symphara
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Thanks for the update.

I think this problem may may be related to how LogViewPlus checks for available memory.  Are you seeing the message: "LogViewPlus does not have enough system memory to open this file."? 

This message is new in 3.1 and appears when a log file is about to be opened, so it would match your original description.  I think the problem here is that this message is being shown incorrectly.

>memory usage at over 800Mb, with nothing open

This can happen.  Windows does not collect memory aggressively for desktop applications when there is plenty of system memory available.  This improves application performance vs having to collect and de-fragment, and potentially re-allocate.  Unfortunately, it does make diagnosing possible memory leaks more difficult.

symphara
symphara
Hello Toby, that's the message.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for confirming.  The memory check must not be executing as expected.  I will remove it in the next BETA release (due early next week).
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...