Open network stream

Author
sitob80
Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

we would like to write a plugin that connects to a network stream and tail the log messages written to the stream.
Up till now this is not possible because the only entry point is a file.

Best regards
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Sitob,

We are working on making streams more integrated but for now you will need to create your own custom reader.  Please see:
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/custom_readers.html

In this case, the "log file" you open will just contain the configuration necessary to make the stream connection.

Hope that helps.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues. 

Toby
sitob80
sitob80
Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)Junior Member (91 reputation)
Hi Toby,

ok this will work somehow with the little drawback that i have to give a fake log file to open.
One problem I have is that I wan't to get notified about whether Tail is on or off. Otherwise the "sender" keeps sending me messages which I have to queue till the next "NextBatch" call. This can be a serious memory problem for us.
Is there any way that I can determine whether Tail is on or off?

Thanks a lot

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Hi Sitob,

Currently, there is no notification mechanism for determining if tail is on or off, but I can see where this would be helpful.  I will look into adding a new interface for the next release.

In the meantime, I suggest you close and reopen the log as needed. 

Thanks, 

Toby

sitob80
sitob80
Ok, for now I can live with this drawback but having the interface in the future would be very helpful.

Thanks
  sitob80
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
The new interface has been implemented and it will be available in the next release (in 6 - 8 weeks).  The new interface was implemented as:

/// <summary>
/// Allows an ILogReader implementation to receive notification when a user enables or
/// disables tail on a log.
/// </summary>
public interface ITailChangedNotification
{
    /// <summary>
    /// Sets the initial tail value for the log. Note that tail may be disabled by default.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="enabled">True if the log should be tailed.</param>
    void SetTailInitialValue(bool enabled);

/// <summary>
    /// Called when a use changes the tail settings for a log.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="enabled">True if the log should be tailed.</param>
    void SetTailChanged(bool enabled);
}

Thanks,

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Sitob,

We have just released LogViewPlus v2.3.19 into BETA.  This version of LogViewPlus contains the new ITailChangedNotification interface.  You can find an example of this interface in action in our "CustomReader" project included with the code samples here:
https://www.logviewplus.com/dist/LogViewPlus_Samples.zip

Thanks again for your suggestion,

Toby
Edited 5 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
sitob80
sitob80
Hi Toby,

this seems to work with the v2.3.21 version. Thanks for your support and implementing this Interface.
Now I'm just waiting for the stream support and then I'm happy Cool

Thank you all, you're doing a really good job in supporting us with this software and with implementing feature request

Thanks
  sitob80
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for the feedback Sitob!

We are currently looking at DB and Windows Event data but these changes use the same infrastructure internally as network monitoring.  So, once we have done one, it should be relatively easy to implement the others.  The DB changes will be in the September release and you can expect network support in October or November.

Toby​​​​​​

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...