Is it possible to temporarily disable (vs delete) a filter?

Author
remo0033
Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have 2 filters: one is general (level 1) and the other is a little more restrictive (level 2).

I want to temporarily disable the more restrictive log (level 2) to focus on the general items.... but then jump right back to the level 2 filter.

When I right-click, I see the option for Close View (i.e., Delete) but I was hoping there was an option for Disable as well.

Being able to maneuver from a "general" filter to a move "restrictive" filter and back, w/o having to delete and re-create filters would be nice.

-Remo

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Remo,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's an interesting idea and I can see where it would be helpful.

The work-around right  now would be to copy and paste the child filter under the 'grandparent' node.  This give you two copies of the same filter - one with and one without the parent. 

I like this approach for two reasons:
1.  Copy and paste is something users are already familiar with.
2.  It makes it very easy to switch back and forth between views.

Enabling / disabling a filter has a few drawbacks:
1.  This would need to be visually communicated to the user and I am not sure how to do this.  'Fading' the node currently means 'cut operation in progress'.
2.  It would require refreshing all child nodes recursively.  This could be an expensive operation for a large log file.

So, I think it is a good idea, but I am not sure that it is clearly better than the existing way.

Thanks,

Toby

remo0033
remo0033
Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Your suggested workaround certainly meets my needs. Thanks.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
That's great Remo - thanks for letting me know.

Please do let me know if you have any further thoughts or issues.

Thanks,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...