Refresh/reload remote log file

Author
IVTH
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi there:
I have some remote log files transferred/opened via SFTP. After it stops monitoring the file, I will often want it to start monitoring again and reload/refresh the file from the remote server.

F5 seems to reload the already transferred copy (with no new entries), and F6 just scrolls me to the bottom of the file.

I would hope some other way to do this exists besides re-opening the file, but I haven't found it.

As a side note, I could not fine a way to search your (online) documentation. Does that exist and I'm just missing a simple thing again, or is it not a feature yet.

Thanks!
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. 

This behaviour is by design, but I agree that a better solution is needed.  I will look into adding a F5 re-download implementation and hopefully we can get a change released in the next few months (before the end of the year).  I will post back when a beta release is available. 

For searchable documentation, I would recommend downloading the PDF version from:
https://www.logviewplus.com/download.html

Thanks again,

Toby

IVTH
IVTH
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
If it's by design, that's fine. It could be nice if that were a bit clearer, though.
But, I would still like a way to refresh a remote file Tongue Reopening it is okay, but a bit slow. It doesn't need to be F5, but some faster (hopefully) keyboard shortcut would be great.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
For now, the best solution is probably to create a workspace with your remote files and views.  Refreshing is then just a matter of closing the files and reapplying the workspace.

You could also extend the FTP timeout so that (in your case) a refresh is needed less often.  Please see: https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/tail___scroll.html  

Ultimately though, I think this is about user intent.  When you hit F5, you expect the file to be re-download and not simply "refreshed".  So I think the best way to make this feature clear is to do what the user expects.  I think the reasons for the existing implementation are largely historical.  

Toby

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Just to let you know, the latest version of LogViewPlus (v2.4.21) changes the refresh behavior.  In the latest version, refreshing a remote file will re-download the file.

This version is currently available as a BETA release and is available from our download page:  https://www.logviewplus.com/download.html

Thanks again for the feedback!

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...