memory optimalization

Author
marcin.wrazidlo
New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm not sure if this a bug, error or what.
I have a couple of logs on a remote server. each morning I turn on Logviewplus, choosing a workspace and it's running like this whole day.
The problem is around midday when logviewplus taking more than 10GB of my RAM. I have to restart the application and load all logs again (at this point it's taking longer as logs getting bigger and bigger. I'm thinking about what can help to improve this.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Marcin,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

I have had this problem reported before, but unfortunately I have never been able to reproduce it.  Based on customer discussions, I believe the problem is related to the remote connection rather than anything to do with the log file or number of log entries.  I have never had this problem reported for local files. 

Unfortunately, I think what is needed here is a bit of experimentation to further narrow down the problem.

Are you doing anything unusual with the remote connection?  If you modify you settings so that the connection times out earlier, do you still get the problem?  What kind of connection is used with the remote machine?  Does the problem only happen over night?  How big is the log file and how often does it tick?

Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Toby
marcin.wrazidlo
marcin.wrazidlo
New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)
Hi
I'm using a standard SFTP connection.
it looks like the connection is active over this time.
I have setup tailing a remote file to stop after 12 hours.
default to open is last 10 KB (hmm thinking this is too low maybe, change to 20?)
files can go even up to 1GB (depends how busy app is).

I start app morning when coming to work, and shut down when going home.

Edited 5 Years Ago by marcin.wrazidlo
marcin.wrazidlo
marcin.wrazidlo
I spot now something strange. I have increased tailing to 20kb and it looks like whole memory refresh. usage go down from 5GB to 300MB.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Thanks Marcin.

So - this changes things a bit.  Having that much memory available to be released tells me that:

1.  Everything seems to be working normally.
2.  Your machine has a lot of memory. 

Garbage collection is very expensive and it is up to Windows to decide when to mark memory as free.  On a machine with a lot of memory, the answer may be - never.  Why bother? 

Is the 10 GB issue actually causing a problem?   Or is it more that "that seems excessive"?

LogViewPlus is a memory intensive program.  I would expect a 1 GB log file to take up about 4 GB of memory.  The reason for this is explained here:
https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/94/RAM-usage

That thread ended up as a dead end, but may shed some light here.

Thanks,

Toby
marcin.wrazidlo
marcin.wrazidlo
This 10GB it's making me a bit problem as this is a lot for me (I have 16GB but running, compiling etc) and logview taking around 80% of memory. So my pc slow down. 
I'm tailing 4/5 big files.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks Marcin.

Memory is not like CPU and disk resources.  High memory usage is not a problem in itself.  Please see:
https://lifehacker.com/know-the-difference-between-good-and-bad-high-ram-usage-5958598
https://www.howtogeek.com/128130/htg-explains-why-its-good-that-your-computers-ram-is-full/

If you have 4 x 1 GB log files open, LogViewPlus may need up to 12 GB of memory (as described in the other thread).  This would be expected behaviour and the only way to decrease memory would be to close a file.  Note that closing the file may not free up the memory - Windows may choose not to do this until memory becomes scarce.  

Hope that helps,

Toby
Edited 5 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...