Feature Request: Merge on open

Author
Robert
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello 

On an typical "rolling" log configuration you got a bunch of logfiles. But I want a single merged file view.

Now: Click 'Open files' -> multiselect log files (sometimes 10 or more) -> action: merge log files -> after merging: select every single original file in the workspace and delete it. 

How about a "get merged file" option in the open file dialog while mutliselecting files?

Thanks
Robert

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the suggestion!   I think this is a really good idea.  It's funny - the way things have evolved, this has never really occurred to me before.  :-)

The trouble is - the open file dialog is complicated enough already.  Adding a 'delete after merge' option may not sound like much - but it is moving the form in the wrong direction.

What do you think about right clicking on the merge file after it is opened and selecting "Close Source Log Files"?  This is - slightly - more work, but I think it will be much less complicated and easier for new users to learn.

There is also a technical challenge in that you will still need the source file 'open' to be able to tail it.  This resource will need to be managed internally.  Users will lose the ability to control tail in individual files - but if it is their choice, I don't think that is much of an issue.

Thanks again,

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Hi Robert,

I just wanted to let you know that we have released a new BETA version of LogViewPlus (2.4.21) which allows you to close all source files associated with a merge.  You can find the "Close Source Files" command on the context menu of the file.

The BETA is available from our download page here:
https://www.logviewplus.com/download.html

However, re-reading your email - I think I may have misunderstood the question.  :-)  If you would like to open a merge file at the same time you select the files to open, you can do this by providing a merge file name:

This feature is not new to LogViewPlus.  If this meets your needs, then downloading and installing the BETA will not be necessary.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Robert
Robert
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Toby

Thanks for your quick and detailed answer.

First, sorry about the "Merge Into" request. Yes, that is the feature I was looking for, but obviously I have overlooked it. Maybe because it is below the header "parse settings" and parsing is in my mind how to cut a single line. So, sorry, forget this request.

The second, about closing the files: I like your solution with the "close source files". I tried the beta and it works fine. Many thanks. Smile

Greetings
Robert
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for letting me know.

I agree with you about the placement of the merge setting - it's not very intuitive.  I will have a think about it and see if it can be improved.

Thanks,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...