Stay near the selected log entry when navigating between views

Author
AndreasP
I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

thanks for the Info. I observed the new version now for some time, but the initial problem that staying close to the selected time is still now working for merged log files.

Do you need more info or a test case?

Regards
Andreas
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Andreas,

Yes - I think more detail on the problem would help.  Is this an issue when navigating between files or are the navigation issues specific to the same merged file?

Thanks,

Toby
AndreasP
AndreasP
I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)I'm into this (281 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

I observed the issue when navigating between different filters/views between the same merged log file.

In the current case I have merged about 40 Log files. Then I have a view A that shows only errors of the merged logs (contains log entries starting on the first original log files). And I have a view B (parallel to view A) where I view a specific error message (starting a log file number 12).

Staying close to the selected log entry works if I use log entries that exist in both views.

But when I use log entries in view A that do not exist in view B, staying close to the selected log entry only works, if I select log entries in view A that belong to file number 12 (or lower, which will move to the first entry in view B). If I select log entries of file number 13 or higher in view A and change to view B then I will end up on a entry of file number 12 (and not 13 or higher).

In a second test case I created view C which shows only warning messages (starts with log entries from file 1). So not containing any common log entries.

When changing from view A to C or C to A I always land on a log entry on file 3, no matter which log entry of any file I selected on the starting view. During further tests this behavior somehow changed, but never not bringing me to close log entries.

Hope this helps in tracking down the issue.

Regards
Andreas

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Thanks for the detailed error report Andreas.  Let me take a closer look and get back to you.

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Andreas,

I have spent some time investigating this issue again today.  Unfortunately, I am still not able to recreate.

Here is the filter structure I am using for testing

This structure allows me to test scenarios where log entries do or do not exist in filters of different arrangements (parent, child, grandchild). In all cases, log entry selection seems fine.  If a log entry does not exist in a filter, a log entry near the target time is selected.  This is the expected behavior.

This was tested on the BETA version - v2.4.43. 

I feel like your setup is probably different somehow, but I am not sure what the issue could be. 

Toby

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Andreas,

As discussed offline, this issue should now be resolved in the latest BETA release - v2.4.46.

Thanks again for your help debugging this issue.  The detailed recreation steps provided were a big help.

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...