Graph log view plot on text filter results

Author
migdur
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

Nice tool! I am currently evaluating it.
I would be very interested in knowing whether it is possible to plot a graph log only for the entries returned combining two or more text filters. I have been trying different things but don't manage to get it....

Thanks very much,
Migue

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Migue,

Thanks for the feedback - glad to hear you are finding the program helpful.  :-)

Have you tried graphing the filter?  

Also, these might help.  Some quick videos on merging and graphing:
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/merge_filters.html
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/graph_log_entries.html

Hope that helps,

Toby
Edited 4 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
migdur
migdur
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Hi Toby,

Thanks for the info. I still don't quite manage though:

I have combined three filters, and I would expect to plot the count distribution of these 3 kind of messages in my log. I select the combined filter | graph log entries, but what I get in my chart is this

So probably I am doing something wrong?

Thanks,
m

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
I think the problem here is that the graph in question is aggressively trying to group the messages.  The way it does this is by trimming messages after the first 45 characters.  In other words, if the first 45 characters of two different messages match - they will be considered equal.

I think this is the correct behavior, but the logic is not very clear and I can see why it is causing confusion.  I will have a think about how to make the UI convey this behavior more clearly.

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention.

Toby 
migdur
migdur
I see, so the 45 characters (or the degree of aggressiveness in the grouping) is hard-coded, right? any ideas on how to work around this?

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
It is hard coded and there is no work-around.

What you may be able to do is save the view as a separate log file and then parse it with another parser.  This should allow you to isolate the data that has actually changed.

Hope that helps,

Toby
migdur
migdur
This helps. Thanks a lot.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Glad to hear it - thanks for letting me know.

In the future, we plan to 'solve' this problem by allowing sub parsing of a message as a feature within LogViewPlus.  There are a number of problem areas that would be addressed by this feature.  Unfortunately - we are still several months away from a prototype release.

There are a couple of problems with expanding the 45 character limit.  This limit impacts display of the message, but I think in some scenarios it is actually helpful to limit the message comparison.  It's hard to get the balance right.

Anyway - there is more information than you asked for but I hope it helps to clarify things.  :-)

Thanks,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...