(Sub)string search on large entry view

Author
migdur
Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

I just became a paying user of your tool ;-)
I have this situation where I have selected a line of my log containing a pretty large JSON blob, which I pretty print and visualize (see attached image). Then I would like to quickly find a string in this JSON structure but I always find myself having to create a text filter for this. Is there a quicker way in the tool, like a simple text search functionality?

Thanks!
Miguel​​​​​
Edited 4 Years Ago by migdur
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Miguel - Thanks for your support!

A text filter is the main tool for finding text, but you could also use a highlight or an auto-filter.  These are described in this short video:
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/find_text.html

Does that help?

Thanks again!

Toby

migdur
migdur
Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)
The autofilter is a very cool feature but this does not take me to the precise line in a prettified JSON structure where I want to be. I was thinking as something more 'spontaneous' like a Ctrl+F in a simple text editor?

Best,

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
I see - you want to search within the selected message.  

This is tricky.  There are already a lot of search features in LogViewPlus and creating new features which search in a limited way might be confusing to new users.  It is also somewhat unusual to have extremely large messages (most messages will not need a sub-search feature). 

The best thing to do here might be to open the message in a text editor.  I wonder if it is worth adding a command on to the context menu you highlighted to do this. 

Any thoughts?  Would this approach help?

Thanks,

Toby
migdur
migdur
Sure, this is certainly not a showstopper for me. I do indeed prettify the JSON and copy/paste it in Notepad++ to search there; so I need 2 tools io one for this...

Thanks for clarifying.
m

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Miguel,

I just wanted to let you know that we have now released LogViewPlus v2.4.31 into BETA which you can download from https://www.logviewplus.com/download.html

This version contains a new feature which I think might help with the issue above.  When you right-click inside of a large message (a message with more than 1,000 characters) you should see a new context menu option - 'Open in Text Editor'. 

This command does two things.  First, it will save the log entry to a temporary file.  The extension of this file will be determined by the Pretty Print type.  For example, in the screen shot above, the message is pretty printed as XML.  Therefore, the file will be saved as a '.xml' file.

Once the message has been saved it will be opened in your default text editor.  This is the program which you have configured in Windows to open '.txt' files. 

Note that the example above is not valid XML.  This feature is designed to work with text editors that can handle invalid data formats while still offering a degree of syntax highlighting.

Hope that helps.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby
migdur
migdur
Hi Toby,

Thanks for that. Yes, it's a very good improvement, if an in-view search feature is not possible to do.
Best,
m

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...