Link columns between different logs

Author
michele
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
I know that our log configuration seems strange, but the customer needs this ...
We have two logs: a "main log" and a "trace log". The first log contains a column that references directly (1-to-1) to another column in the second log.
The "main log" contains only what happened in the program, instead the "trace log" contains the details (eg. raw request and response).
When we analize a log we start search in "main log" and continuosly switch between "main" and "trace" to view details. I think it could be usefull has the possibility to click on column "Trace ID" in one log to switch automatically to the row in the other log that contains the same "Trace ID", said in other terms LogViewPlus does the search for me every time I click a cell value in "Trace ID" column, instead of copy-paste the value and do another manual search every time.
Actually the column "Trace ID" is defined into the parser mapping as "%S{Trace ID}", the new configuration could be "%S{<columnName>,<parserName>,<parserColumnName>}", where parserName is the name of the parser for "trace log" (referred to my example) and parserColumnName is the name of the column in "trace log".
Thanks,
regards
Michele
Attachments
Main log.png (262 views, 177.00 KB)
Trace log.png (264 views, 144.00 KB)
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Michele,

This is the first time I have encountered linked data in log files. It's an interesting problem.

What I would recommend trying is to create a merge file with all of your data - main + trace. Then filter the merge file based on the names of the 'main' log files:

This gives you a view that contains only the data in the 'main' log files.  Something like:

This filter then becomes your 'main' log file view.  With this setup in place, you can do an instant search filter on the Trace ID - focusing it on the root log file:

Does this approach help?

Toby

michele
michele
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Nice approac!
I didn't know that it's possibile to merge files with different pattern!
This solution permits us to filter into both log files simultaneously.
Many thanks Toby 👍🏻

Attachments
Fantastic.png (256 views, 64.00 KB)
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Glad to hear that helped.  :-)  Thanks for letting me know!

As an aside, it looks like your trace log contains a lot of JSON.  Did you know you can pretty print this?  There is a context menu option off of the log entry text box:

...and also a setting to apply changes like this to the entire log file:

Just FYI.  Hope that helps,

Toby

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...