Navigation from filtered view toward main file

Author
Sami Fennich
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I have an annoying problem with LogViewerPlus, and I would like to know if it is possible to find a solution for it.
It is related to the navigation from a filtered view toward the main file.
When you double click on a line in the filtered view, it jumps to its location in the main file, which is great.
But, when I am only selecting a line in the filtered view, and then I select manually to the main file, it is also jumping to the line position in the main file, and then I am always loosing where I was in the main one.  This becomes even more painful when you navigate between different filter views, and selecting in each one line, and then come back to the main file, to find your self in a totally unknown position (which is the last line you have selected in the last filter view which you were using Sad
I have already  the possibility, if I want, to enjoy this default behavior by just double-clicking on the line. Then, why not giving the user the possibility to keep his old position, if he wish ?

Br
Sami
Edited 4 Years Ago by Sami Fennich
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for the feedback Sami.

I will need to think about this one.  I can see where the suggestion is helpful, but I think staying focused on the 'current' row is also helpful.  Having a configuration option makes sense, but I would rather not go for an 'either or' solution because I think this could be confusing for some users.  Also, I feel there may be a better solution which combines the best of both. 

Maybe some kind of 'instant bookmark' feature which keeps track of history?  Maybe color coding or an indicator to help find log entries you recently inspected? 

Let me think about it and see what we can come up with.

Thanks again,

Toby
Sami Fennich
Sami Fennich
New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)New Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Let me give some user experience :

Generally, this is how I go through a logfile :
I scroll inside it, I select a line and select a text, and make instant filter.
And I check what is inside that new filtred view, and it happens often that I click inside that view, which is normal.
Then I go back to the main file, to continue scrolling and create new instant filters. Unfortunately, when coming back, I find myself in another position.
May be this is not the natural way to parse a logfile, I don't know...
Anyway, I am happy that you gave me your feedback so quickly, thanks Smile

Sami
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
That makes sense.  Thanks for the detailed description.

I think it makes sense to try and do both approaches.  The focused row will change, but have an icon plus an indicator in the navigation bar to indicate the row you filtered from.  It might also make sense to keep a history of these rows, or bookmark them automatically.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...