Using UDP log source

Author
richard
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I noticed today that LogView Plus now supports UDP.- A feature that would be really useful to 
There is NO documentation for this yet! I assumed this functions by listening on a UDP port for an incoming data stream.
I have tried it and nothing seems to happen. Does the incoming stream have to have a particular format?

Thanks,
Richard.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Richard,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Sorry about the lack of documentation on this one.  This is something we are actively working on.  The documentation will be fully up to date for the next release - v2.5.  Hopefully, this will be out in a few weeks time.

The UDP listener should be straight-forward - you just need to configure the port and open the 'file' that is available in the File Browser.  There is a known bug with the UDP service where, if there is no data incoming, LogViewPlus doesn't seem to 'do anything'.  I wonder if that could be the issue here?  

We have already resolved this issue, but unfortunately, this fix will not be available for a few more weeks.

Thanks again,

Toby
richard
richard
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
Thanks Toby for your reply.

I did wonder if that might be the case. Does the incoming data stream need any formatting or terminators in order for LVP to display anything?
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
A special format is not required. 

The way this works is that all data in the stream will be written to a file.  The file can then be opened and parsed as normal.  The name of the log file will be the Friendly Name that you set for the service.    If a name is not set, the server + port will be combined to generate a file name.

Hope that helps,

Toby
richard
richard
I must be missing something, Toby.

I have created a listener, choosing port 1000. Pressed "test". It says "UDP listener created successfully" 
I have done a "netstat -n -a -o" and process listening on 1000 shows
I have done a local hdd search for "localhost_1000.log", which i assume is the filename. No filename found.

Used utility "Packet Sender" to send "Hello World" Smile

Richard.
richard
richard
UPDATE
I now have got LVP to show in the netstat list - not sure what i have done differently to make this happen. :/
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Richard,

The 'test' button does not do much more then validate your configuration.  A socket is opened, but then it is very quickly closed.

Opening the file is what causes a persistent connection to be opened.  It is only when this connection receives data that LogViewPlus can create the actual file - which will be written to %temp%\LogViewPlus.

Hope that helps,

Toby

richard
richard
I am wondering if windows firewall is blocking traffic.
I also notice that the LVP process only seems to bind to the loopback adapter
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
I wouldn't expect Windows Firewall to block traffic from your local machine to your local machine.  

Is it binding to the loopback adapter on the configured UDP port?  The loopback adapter is used to run LogViewPlus in single instance mode.  It should be unrelated to the UDP listener.
richard
richard
The Windows Firewall is definitely causing an issue, I believe. Binding to loopback will mean packets can only originate from an app on the same machine as LVP
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...