Email/SNTP notification on event

Author
Micha Blum
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all
i think this is supposed to be possible to get an email on a filter of a log file. I did see the video 
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/event_notifications.html
but i cannot really see how do you monitor a real time log (continuously chaging) . I set directly monitor,

but on the upper part, when i set a filter, it put it on a specific file.
Any help will be much appreciated
Edited 4 Years Ago by Micha Blum
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Micha,

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate LogViewPlus.

First, I would recommend changing your username as it is publicly visible.  Unfortunately, bots may find it and use it in a way that is outside of our control.  You can change this by going into your profile settings and selecting one of the available "Edit" buttons.  Once in edit mode, you will see a menu of icons on the left.  One of these options is "Edit Account".  Here you will find a form which allows you to change your username.

From your screenshot above, it looks like you have already setup a notification on a filter.  This means you will have already configured a provider and set a notification.  I can't see any data in the filter, so I am thinking the problem is that the event you are monitoring just hasn't occurred yet?  Note that notifications are triggered only when new data is written to the file.

What I would recommend is to experiment with Popup notifications first.  These are simple - low impact - notifications that will give you a sense of how the application works.  I would recommend configuring the popup to notify you with an event that happens frequently.  For example, writing a 'Info' event to a log file.  Once this is working, I would try setting a popup notification on your 'real world' problem.  Finally, once this is working, I would change the popup provider to SMTP.

Hope that helps,

Toby 
Edited 4 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
Micha Blum
Micha Blum
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
Thank U Toby for your fast answer and hints.
The even didn't happened, but i try another one. Maybe i set the other "under" the first and not below and then it act as "AND" and not "OR" ?
I tried now and the popup worked (i first try with the popup, exactly as u suggested, and test it already before and it works)

SO the popup works but now here are the questions:
1. The email works with TLS ? i cannot see this option, i have a account i open in gmail to send alarms, and Gmail need TLS as soon as i know
2. in a previous post 2 years ago, i found that you talk about a service instead the app. is that alive ?
3. the way i did will always refresh the log in real time ?
4. in case you close the sw and reopens (or reboot the pc), is there a way to open the workspace automatically ?

The main goal (i test for me but then wish to propose to my customers), is to send email on event in the log (error messages)

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Hi Micha,

Glad to hear you got the popup working - that's a good start.  I believe the remaining problem is likely with your SMTP configuration.

> The email works with TLS ?

Yes.  Select the "Secure Connection with SSL" option when configuring the provider.  TLS is the default options if a secure connection is requested.  

> talk about a service instead the app. is that alive

One item on our todo list is to allow LogViewPlus to run in the background - as a service, or possibly in the notification area.  However, this work is unlikely to be complete in the next 6 months.  Sorry.

> the way i did will always refresh the log in real time ?

For the notification to fire, the log file will always need to receive a 'new' event.  This means the log file will need to be in tail mode.  Does that answer the question?

> is there a way to open the workspace automatically ?

Sort of.  The problem here is that you are using a directory monitor.  A directory monitor doesn't actually know what it is going to open - it depends on what is found in the directory.  Because of this, you cannot save filters (or notifications) as part of the workspace.

So, to restore the notifications you will need to follow a two step process.
1.  Save / Restore the workspace.
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/save_a_workspace.html

2.  Save / Restore a template which contains your filter and notification.
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/save_and_share_filters.html

Hope that helps,

Toby
Micha Blum
Micha Blum
Hi Toby 
thank U for your anwer
i can see my reply wasn't posted - i will then reply again Smile

> This is how i configured the email

but when i test i have this:

> The system do generate a file per day (sometimes more than 1 per day if this exceed 10MB)
the file name is for example DHD2020-07-19_19-26-20
then DHDYYY-MM-DD_HH-mm-ss
can i make the system monitor the" current file"/latest ?

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Micha,

I think the problem here is likely to be with your gmail account.  Are you sure that the account is setup correctly to send email given the details provided?  Do you use two factor authentication with your gmail account?  Can you verify the settings in another application?  If I search for "gmail 5.7.0 authentication required", it seems a number of people have experienced this issue.

You can apply the notification on the 'current' file by using a Directory Monitor + a Merge File.   Then you can place the notification on the merge file.  This will ensure you are always monitoring the latest data.  Please see:
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/monitor_a_directory.html
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/merge_log_files.html

Hope that helps,

Toby
Edited 4 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
Micha Blum
Micha Blum
Hi again
with 465 port which seems to be for SSL i get

any hint ?

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Micha,

Again - I believe the problems you are having are with your Gmail account settings.  For example, it could be due to the authentication method used or the age of the account.  Is there another provider you could try - for example SendGrid?  

The "Secure Connection with SSL" flag is used to set the "EnableSSL" field on the .Net SmtpClient.  The documentation for this property states that only SSL over TLS is supported.  Direct SSL connections are not supported.  I can see where this is confusing and I will rename this field "Secure Connection with TLS" in the next release.  Apologies for the confusion this has caused.

It may also be worth testing with an insecure connection.  This may help to narrow down any problems with your configuration.

Hope that helps,

Toby

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
A few more ideas from Google which might help.  Please review:
https://myaccount.google.com/u/0/security-checkup/4
https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps

In reviewing these settings, is there anything you believe might be blocking your connection?

Also, it appears that Gmail does not support insecure connections - so please ignore that suggestion I made above.

Second, it may be worth upgrading to the latest LogViewPlus BETA release v2.4.41 available here:
https://www.logviewplus.com/download.html

This release upgrades LogViewPlus to use .Net 4.7.2.  The current version is 4.5.2.  There are a lot of "behind the scenes" security enhancements in this release and it is possible that the upgrade may help.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Micha Blum
Micha Blum
Hi Again
we try with sendgrid, no success same error message (btw, after the error message there is another message to check your emaio, but there is no mail in)
did anyone use gmail/sendgrid/any other email service to send emails and can share which/settings ?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...