Email/SNTP notification on event

Author
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Micha,

I have had a chance to do some testing with SendGrid.  I am using the configuration "smtp.sendgrid.net" on port 25 with TLS enabled.

Everything works as expected.  However, I did notice that when I send an email to Hotmail - the mail does not get through (even as junk).  Mails get through fine on the other accounts I tested (although Gmail did flag the email as potentially dangerous).

The issues with sending mail to these accounts is with the SMTP provider and not LogViewPlus.  The mail accounts have built in spam filters that make deliver-ability an issue.  The email recipient must trust the email sender.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Edited 4 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
Micha Blum
Micha Blum
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby
This is very strange
we try as well
we got the same error mesage with sendgrid than we got with gmail.
port 25 figures as not SSL, but we try all options
25 with and without
465 with and without
587 with and without
noone works. some get another error message (directly, nit after a few seconds)

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Hi Micha,

When you test your SMTP connection you should get a message back saying "A test notification email has been sent."  There is currently a bug in LogViewPlus where an error message may be displayed before this message.  

If you see an error message - the message was NOT sent and we need to address the error message.  If you do NOT see an error message, then LogViewPlus successfully sent the message.  From there, it is your provider's responsibility to deliver it.  

We have fixed this bug for the next release.  In the next release, if an error message is shown then the "success" message will not be shown.

As to why your provider is not delivering messages, it is difficult to say.  What I do know is that sending email is surprisingly "fuzzy" these days.  Spam has become such a problem that a lot of services actively try to stop receiving email from free accounts.  It might be worth contracting SendGrid or subscribing to a paid account.

Hope that helps,

Toby

Micha Blum
Micha Blum
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
Hi Toby
Hmm. One sec. We do have the 'amail have been sent' but we have the error before, so thats ok ?
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
The error message means the mail was not sent.

What settings are you using to connect to SendGrid?  What is the error message?
Micha Blum
Micha Blum
LogViewPlus Support - 24 Jul 2020
>> Hi
In fact we try all options (like shown below)
SSL checked
smtp.gmail.com
WITH ports 465 - error - then email was sent - but no mail
but.. hurray - now with 587 port it works !

sage?

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Glad to hear you got it working.  :-)  Not sure why the port change was necessary - must have something to do with your service provider.

Thanks for letting me know,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...