Auto-closing log file from workspace - if the log file doesn't exist

Author
lmohan
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently purchased LogviewPlus and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. 
Just wanted to point out a few issues and suggest some solution.

It could be better if the users get asked before closing a log file from the workspace - if the log file doesn't exist. This usually happens when we open a workspace or, if the view is refreshed.  Much better solution: a setting (could be workspace-specific) to control auto-closing of non-existent log files.
I have a running log file that gets renamed when my app exists and if open LogviewPlus before I run my app, LogviewPlus removes the log file from the workspace. It is annoying to re-add the log file every time this happens - especially when you have multiple log files (for different app instances) in the workspace and have friendly-names assigned (in LogviewPlus) to these files .

Thanks.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi lmohan,

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like there may be a number of new feature requests here.  You would like to:
1.  Be prompted before closing or refreshing a log file which doesn't exist.
2.  Have an application setting to automatically close log files if they no longer exist.

Am I understanding correctly?

> if open LogviewPlus before I run my app, LogviewPlus removes the log file from the workspace

Can you give me a bit more detail here?  LogViewPlus should not automatically remove a file from the workspace.

Thanks,

Toby
lmohan
lmohan
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Hi Toby,

Thanks for the response.

Can you give me a bit more detail here? LogViewPlus should not automatically remove a file from the workspace
Please find a video shared here. Hope this helps.

No, I wasn't asking for multiple features. I was just suggesting two (three now) different ways to avoid the problem I described.
Suggestion-1
Either the non-existent log file does not close by itself when
  1. Refreshed or,
  2. Open/reopen a workspace.
I understand - the content cannot be refreshed when the file doesn't exist. But, the user can be given a choice?
In case the user prefers to retain the file:
1. If the file is deleted with the workspace open, and if I do a refresh, can the view be retained?
If the file doesn't exist when I open the workspace, the content doesn't have to be displayed but, the file can be left in the list so that it can be refreshed when the log file is created in the future.
In either case, some visual indication can be shown that the file doesn't physically exist (file in the list is displayed in red?)

Suggestion-2
Similar to Suggestion-1. But, instead of prompting the user, this can be configured somewhere - globally (for all workspaces) or, specific to workspace(s).

Suggestion-3
Designate one or more log files in a workspace list as 'running log files'. These files will retention behavior as suggested in Suggestion-1.

Thanks,
Lakshmana
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for the detailed suggestions Lakshmana.  I think keeping the file in the workspace is a really good idea.  

We can implement 'Suggestion 1' as a start.  I am not sure it will be necessary to prompt the user as I think the functionality will be intuitive once it is understood.  Also, if a prompt is needed, this is something we can add in a future release.

Let me have a look and get back to you.  Hopefully, this is something we can squeeze into the next release. 

Thanks again!

Toby
lmohan
lmohan
Thanks!
Agree - prompt is not necessary.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...