Open file that extension not .log will popup The parameter is incorrect

Author
Jared
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi LogViewPlus support:

I encounter when open a file which has non .log file extension.
It will popup this message.

Add some series number or timestamp to file extension is normal behavior for log rotation.

thanks

Jared

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Jared,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

How are you trying to open the file?  Are there any spaces in the file name path?  It looks like the error message you are seeing is coming from Windows.  I am not sure that the command is actually getting to LogViewPlus.

Note that, by default, Windows is only configured to open files with a *.log extension in LogViewPlus.  Other file extensions will need to be opened explicitly.

Thanks,

Toby
Edited 4 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
Jared
Jared
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

I click right-click button on the file
then select open with
then select choose another app
then select LogViewPlus

then will see the error message.

thanks

Jared
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Jared,

I am having trouble recreating this error.  What I can say is that the error message is not coming from LogViewPlus.  This appears to be a issue with Windows passing the file path to the application.

What happens if you try to open the file from the command line? 
C:\Program Files\LogViewPlus> LogViewPlus.exe "[Path to File]"

Are you able to open the file in LogViewPlus using the file browser?  Possibly, there is a security issue?

Thanks,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...