Custom Parser and Messages with Multiple Lines

Author
AndreasP
I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

I am trying to write a custom parser for our log files since the default parser has some problems with special cases.
I have a first version of the custom parser, however I have problems correctly parsing log entries with multiple Lines.

Simplified Example:
2020.01.01 Test 1
2020.01.02 Test 2.1
Test 2.2
Test 2.3
2020.01.03 Test 4

From what I understand from the documentation the IsLogEnty method should return true when I detect a new log entry. In the above example this would be detecting if the lines start with a date, and in this case return true, otherwise false.

In the Parse method then I parse the given logentry line and fill the LogEntry class.

When I run the custom parser it basically works, however in the log entry grid for the second entry I only see the line "Test 2.1" and not the lines "Test 2.2" and "Test 2.3". I can see them in the original entry view, but I would also like to see them in the log entry grid.

In contrast when I use the Pattern Parser then the log entry grid shows all three lines. How can I achieve this with the custom parser?

Regards
Andreas
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Andreas,

This is an excellent question and something that I can see is missing from our documentation. 

You will need to implement the "IFinalizeLogEntry" interface.  Your implementation will be something like:

/// <summary>
/// Implementing IFinalizeLogEntry will give us a chance to process any unparsed data. Unparsed data will
/// automatically be added to the OriginalLogEntry, but you may want to process it further. Unparsed data
/// will be a collection of all lines where "IsLogEntry" returned false.
///
/// Here, we are adding the unprocessed data to the message for display in the LogViewPlus grid view.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="entry">The log entry to be finalized.</param>
/// <param name="unparsedData">Any data that could not be parsed.</param>
/// <param name="result">The result of the log parse.</param>
public void FinalizeLogEntry(LogEntry entry, string unparsedData, ParseResult result)
{
  if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(unparsedData))
   return;

entry.Message += unparsedData;
}

I will put this in the sample code and update the documentation.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Toby
AndreasP
AndreasP
I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

works perfect. Thanks!

Andreas
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Glad to hear that is working for you Andreas.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...