How to edit filter which is part of a Merge Filter

Author
Captain Normal
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The Edit Merge Filter dialog is available, but I can't work out how to edit the individual filters. How can this be done?

If not supported by the GUI, is there a config file where this can be done manually?  (I can't find one.)
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Captain,

You can cannot edit filters directly from the merge filter dialog.

You can edit filters individually and then use those filters as part of a merge, but all of the components of the merge are immutable.  If a filter changes after is is used in a merge, the merge will need to be recreated to pickup these changes.

To edit a non-merge filter, you can right-click on the filter and select 'Edit Filter'.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Captain Normal
Captain Normal
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
I see... Thanks for the quick reply!

You say, "right-click on the filter" to edit it, but I cannot see the filters that I need to edit (so that I can use them in a new Merge Filter) except in the Merge Filter  dialog for an existing Merge Filter. I creates a mass of filters for a log, created a Merge Filter out of them, then removed the individual filters from the log because they were no longer needed - but now I cannot find the individual filters to edit/reuse them. Maybe the question is, how do I save a filter for later use? I guess I will end up with about 50 filters which I want to maintain and combine into Merge Filters in various combinations as I need them. (I was expecting somehow a catalog of filters which I have created which I can maintain and use as needed.)
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Sorry - I should have clarified. 

You can edit a filter by right-clicking on it in the main LogViewPlus window.  There is no way to edit the merge filter 'component' filters. 

If you do edit a filter in this way, it will have no impact on the merge filter.  When a filter is used as component of a merge, it is copied and cannot be changed.

If you want to save filters for later use, you can use a filter template.

Hope that make sense.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby
Captain Normal
Captain Normal
Thank you. I think I'd find the possibility to simply edit the filters in plain text format somewhat easier than the GUI (to change/correct at least, if not to create new ones) but with the information you gave I'm able to set things up so that they work well for me. Everything else is working great - nice tool! A purchase will be forthcoming ;-)
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
I agree.  I think there are several things we can do here to make things easier - especially for more technical users.  We are actively working on LogViewPlus, but at the moment we are more focused on adding new functionality.  We have some really neat features planned for the next 12 months.

Glad to hear you are finding LogViewPlus helpful.  Thanks for your support!

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...