"Would you like to merge these files?" dialog missing when using drag and drop for two files

"Would you like to merge these files?" dialog missing when using drag...
Author
AndreasP
I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

when using drag and drop to open log files, the "Would you like to merge these files?" dialog only shows up when dragging three or more log files into LogViewPlus. Is there a special reason why this does not work for two log files, or is this a bug?

Regards
Andreas
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason for this is that it is easy to merge two files after they have been opened.  It is a simple drag / drop operation.  With more than two files, the operation becomes more complex, so we decided to ask what the user plans to do.

With LogViewPlus v2.5 you can hold down the CTRL key to bring up the Quick Open menu which allows you to merge the files.

Hope that helps,

Toby
AndreasP
AndreasP
I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)I'm into this (247 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Toby,

thanks for the explanation. 

I am so used to the automatic merging (with dialog) - I always use it with "Yes" - that at first I didn't realize yesterday that two files I opened this way had not been merged and was very puzzled by the unexpected analysis results (because I only was looking at one file).

Would it hurt to change the behavior of drag and drop to also open the "Would you like to merge these files?" dialog for two files?

Regards
Andreas
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
It is one of those issues that is right down the middle for me.  I can see a good argument on both sides.  I think we don't want to prompt the user unnecessarily.  Also dragging / dropping is about the same about of effort as clicking 'Yes'.

I also agree that it would be good to have more consistency.

Normally, we resolve this kind of conflict by adding an application setting.  In this case, I think this it is probably overkill.

For now, I am going to leave this unchanged, but if I hear more feedback suggesting this is causing confusion, I will make the update.

Thanks for the feedback,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...