[newbie] Is there data-source for monitoring OutputDebugString (aka, akin to...

[newbie] Is there data-source for monitoring OutputDebugString (aka,...
Author
smallscript
New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)New Member (19 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am a newbie exploring its potential for work we do with various data source; the possibilities for LogViewPlus are quite interesting. So here is another in my possible applications for unifying our data sources into a viewing tool.

Is there a LogViewPlus data-source-provider available for "OutputDebugString"; windows stdbug/debug channel?

Monitor debug output on your local system, or any computer on the network that you can reach via TCP/IP.

I.e., having that would enable LogViewPlus to replace usage of either of these (stdbug viewer/consumer tools):
- https://github.com/CobaltFusion/DebugViewPP.
  - code has great discussion of how to obtain/monitor the stdbug channel
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/debugview.

Thanks again for a well thought out website and log-tool offering!
p.s., I could envision a provider-data-source that would actually hook OutputDebugString and expose it as a (localhost) SysLog or UDP socket. Given the use of .NET a "Trace Listener" might also be an approach.
Edited 3 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
That is a really interesting idea - thanks!  A data provider to monitor this stream would be a great addition to LogViewPlus.  We have a release in the works at the moment, but I will see if we can get this into the following release. 

I will need to read up on the data source as I have only ever used it via Sysinternals.  It looks like DebugViewPP uses a Sysinternals agent for kernel processing - so that may need to be a separate provider in a later release.

Not sure I understand your p.s.  We have considered adding 'pipe' functionality to LogViewPlus to allow redirecting parsed data to another data-source, but this functionality is more of a 'long term' idea at the moment.  It would really need a service instead of a desktop app.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...