Multiple (Linked) Views

Author
phil
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would love to be able to view multiple log files simultaneously. This could either be done within a single instance of the application, or perhaps by allowing multiple instances of the application to run. Additionally, I would REALLY love if the views could be linked such that when scrolling through the entries in one view, the other view automatically scrolls as well to stay within the same time range.

My use case is that I'm working with multiple log files from different computers that work together in a distributed system. The behavior of one system can affect all of the others. I would like to be able to view multiple logs at the same time so that I can see what was happening on other systems that may have affected the system that I am troubleshooting.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Phil,

Apologies for the slow reply, this message was sent to the forum spam filter and was initially missed.

You can open multiple files in LogViewPlus or start multiple application instances.  From reading your use case, I would suggest using a merge file.  Merge files combine multiple log files sorted by log entry timestamp into a single view with a visual indicator to show the source log file.  This allows you to easilly see the interaction between multiple log files.

Hope that helps,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...