Apply filter to or merge multiple files

Author
Brad Konia
I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
  • I have an application that creates a new log file every day.
  • The file names are based on the date, and all the files are contained within the same directory.
  • Since these are error logs, I want to be notified whenever a new log entry is created.
If this was a single log file, it would be easy to create a filter and then attach notifications to the filter. However, I don't see any way to create a filter that's automatically applied to all files within a directory, or to automatically merge all files within a directory. From what I'm seeing, I'd have to manually create a new filter every day. Am I missing something?
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Brad,

Notifications in LogViewPlus are designed to work off of tailed log files.  It is the new log entries that trigger the notifications - not new log files.

When a directory monitor detects a new log file and adds it to an existing merge file, the merge file will be refreshed.  This is to ensure that the log entries across all files will be sorted correctly by timestamp.  When the merge file is refreshed, notifications will not be triggered.

Saving a directory monitor does not currently save filters which are applied to the target merge file, so any filters would need to be reapplied manually (a template could be used).

I think the issue you are raising highlights a potential gap where notifications may not be raised and I also think we can do better around directory monitor filter persistence.  I will take a closer look and get back to you.

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention,

Toby
Brad Konia
Brad Konia
I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)I'm into this (260 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
OK, just to be sure we're talking about the same thing...

Currently, it seems you can only apply filters to specific log files. I want to be able to apply a filter to a filename pattern, like xxxyyy.log, so the filter, and it's attached notifications would automatically be applied to any new files matching the specified pattern. Thus, when my application creates a new log file on a new day, that file will automatically be added to the filter and trigger notifications.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
You can use automatic templates to apply a filter when a new file is opened.  However, I do no think this will solve the issue with notifications.  Notifications are triggered when new log entries are written to an existing log file.  I will need to test this and get back to you.

Thanks,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...