Extremely Slow Performance when opening a log with extremely long lines

Author
dshunter
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi
New user here. Enjoying the tool so far.
Our system went wrong, and was outputting a log file of 100MB, spread over very few (around 50) exceptionally long log lines (upstream system was sending us bad data).
LogViewPlus is unable to handle such a file gracefully, taking around 20 minutes to open it, and 20 mins per click after that.
A single CPU seems to be pinned to 100%. Memory is only around 200MB.
Seems like it is trying to do some unnecessary processing of this line... would be good if it could truncate it somehow to keep it usable so we can diagnose the problem.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. 

How much available memory does the machine have? 

I just tried to recreate this issue locally with a 125 MB file with 192 log entries - 64 of which are very large.  Performance is pretty good with the exception of selecting large log entries which takes 5-6 seconds to display.  During this time, a a loading message is displayed:

Clicking elsewhere in the application is not a problem.  The file loaded quickly.

I am on a powerful machine (dev spec).  Could this be the same issue?

Thanks again,

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Also, what version of LogViewPlus are you using?  If you disable syntax highlighting, does that improve performance?

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Just a quick update on this.  I am not sure if the issue I have highlighted above is the same issue you are having.  However, the issue highlighted is a problem.  I have corrected this by disabling default syntax highlighting for large messages.  This fix will be available in the v3.0.4 BETA release which should be available from downloads later today.

In the meantime, you can test if this is the issue you are having by disabling syntax highlighting as described above.

Hope that helps,

Toby
dshunter
dshunter
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Version 3.0.2
128GB (70% free) RAM/Intel XeonGold 6128 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.39 GHz
So a decent spec'ed desktop.
Disabling syntax highlighting works great thanks!
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Glad that is working for you - thanks for letting me know!

We have now released LogViewPlus v3.0.4 as a BETA release.  This release addresses the issue discussed above by disabling default syntax highlighting for large messages.

Thanks again for bringing this issue to our attention. Please do let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...