Extremely slow performance on everything

Author
Bird
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been using logviewplus for a couple of years, but I'm very dissatisfied with the product.

Here are some timings I took. These were taken after I had been using the app for a few hours, the folder had 30 log files, totaling 155MB. The operations below are on a 116kb log file (1408 records):
Searching for a string: 15 seconds
Returning to the unfiltered view for the same log file: 5.5 seconds
Warn filter: 5.5 seconds

Initializing UI: 5.5 seconds
Opening a work space with 3 116kb files: 4 seconds

I expect all of the above operations to be done within 500 milliseconds. Are you going to take performance seriously at some point or should I look for alternative software?

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Bird,

Thanks for the feedback. 

We regularly performance test LogViewPlus.  Your experience is unusual and it is not clear where the issue might be.  Can you give me any more details about your machine setup?  How much memory do you have available?  Do the target log files exist locally? 

LogViewPlus loads a parsed version of your log file into memory.  This does take some time.  For example, I would expect a 1 GB log file to load in about 30 seconds.  A 100 KB file should load in less than one second. 

Given that the log entries are loaded into memory, your search performance seems particularly bad.  How many records are you searching?  How are you searching?

Also, have you tried reverting to an older version of LogViewPlus?  Did this help?

Thanks,

Toby 
Bird
Bird
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
CPU: Ryzen 3700x, RAM: 32GB total, more than half of which not used atm. Files are local, on an M2 SSD.
Like I wrote, the 15 second search was on 1408 records on that 116kb file.
Search using ctrl+f, only global highlight is checked. Searched string is a 2 character long utf-8 string with Japanese text.
I did not try an older version. I'm on version 3.0.8.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Search is on data in-memory - so it is very fast.  With that number of records, even a terrible algorithm would be sub-second.  A more likely explanation is that something unrelated to search is happening.

Could the application be doing something else in the background?  Do you have any dashboards enabled?  Can you tell me anything else about how you are using the application?  Could something else on your machine be interfering?  Anti-virus maybe?
Bird
Bird
You got it, that's how it should be! You should be a programmer instead of support Wink

Anyway here's an example of how your code could be messed up:
When global search is checked, as part of the search, you cycle over all opened log files, and look for where you can apply the highlighting.
This is obviously not necessary yet, because we're looking at a different file at the moment and don't care about highlights on other files.

I'm guessing this example is not so hypothetical, because I'm getting 4x speed improvements when I turn off global highlight - from 8 seconds to 2 seconds, and the problem only really appears after I've been running LogViewPlus for a while (again, up to 22MB across 19 log files now).

That said, searching is still too slow after that ~4x improvement, so I'm sure there are other issues too.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Highlighting is a visual feature that occurs only for the rows which are currently visible.  You said you are searching for a 2 character string.  How many times is the string matched in the target log entry?  Could you provide a sample log entry and the search string?
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
As an experiment, if you disable both application rendering settings and restart LogViewPlus, does that help?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...