Support for custom numeric fields in autofilter

Author
BradJJ
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a view that includes a PID column from a linux log file that is populated using the %s feature in the pattern parser. That part is fine. The PID values are clean, just the numbers, no whitespace or other characters.
I would like to filter the view to PIDs using the autofilter, e.g. > 1000,  but it doesn't work. Maybe because LVP does not support fields as numeric,  only fields as text for the autofilter.
If I have a file with rows that include PID values 269 and 1322 I get the following results
PID = 269 - I get the rows with PID 269
PID = 1322 - I get the rows with PID 1322
PID > 1000 - I get the rows with both PID 269 and 1322
The first 2 results are as expected, the 3rd result I just want 1322.
Is there anyway to achieve this?
Thanks in advance
Edited 7 Months Ago by BradJJ
BradJJ
BradJJ
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
I had an 'aha' moment when I found the advanced specifiers and tried %t for thread, thinking it would be treated as numeric but I get the same result.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
In general, LogViewPlus tries not to make assumptions about the underlying data type and sees all data as a string.  This is to support new data coming in (tail) while also keeping the program easy to use.

The auto-filter functionality is an example of this and the issue above highlights some of the shortcomings of this approach.  Unfortunately, this tool is managed by a third party and we will not be able to address this issue in the short term.  The auto-filter command also has other limitations and is not intended to be a full replacement for filters.

In other parts of the application we do attempt to determine a data type based on the user action.  One example of this is our SQL engine.

So, instead of using an auto-filter, I would recommend using a SQL Filter for this task.  Something like:
SELECT * FROM CurrentView
WHERE PID > 1000

Hope that helps,

Toby
BradJJ
BradJJ
That works.
Too easy! Thanks.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Glad that helped - thanks for letting me know!  Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...