Re-arranging items in the Log Files & Filters view

Author
omwijk
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!

I would find it helpful to be able to organize my items in the Log Files & Filter tree view. Currently, the items are arranged based on when they were added to the view (I think, or files by name maybe, all my files have the same name but resides in different directories). I would like to be able to re-arrange them so that I can have my files in the order I'd like. The same would be nice for the filters, but in my case re-arranging the files would be more valuable.

Log files I always have opened are stored on disk as follows:

..\folder.1\some\path\file.log
..\folder.2\some\path\file.log
..\folder.3\some\path\file.log
..\folder.4\some\path\file.log

Unfortunately, I have not opened them in order, but I have used the ability to change the display name so that they appear in the Log Files & Filters view like this:

(3) file.log
(1) file.log
(2) file.log
(4) file.log

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for the suggestion. 

Reordering is currently not supported, but I think this is an important change that we will need to look into for the next release.  The problem is that the drag / drop functionality is currently associated with merging.  This already includes the standard modifiers CTRL + Shift.  

We have a new Multiselect Menu in v3.1.  Maybe we could add a Swap command to this menu which would swap the position of any two similar elements (files or filters).  The downside of this approach is that I am not sure how intuitive it would be for new users.  It is also a bit clumsy to do reordering via swapping.  ...but at least it can be done.

Alternatively, we could have some kind of dialog which puts the tree view into 'reorder mode' or otherwise provides this functionality.  There are two downsides here, first it is also bit clunky, second I am not sure where we could put the command such that it could be easily discovered.

I will have a think and see what we can come up with.  Thanks for taking the time to highlight this issue.

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...