Multiple Log entry Timeline graph

Author
BradJJ
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi LVP Guru's,

I have a log file where I want to graph resource allocation and free'ing over time.
Tools / Navigation Reports does what I want but there is only one line.
What I want is to have separate timeline graph lines with different colours for alloc and free to visualise when resources are alloc'd and free'd over time.

Maybe I can do this via SQL but I need a head start on how to have the report present separate lines which are counts of the occurrences of log lines containing 'alloc' and 'free' text.

Thanks in advance.
Brad.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Brad,

The key to generating a report with multiple lines is that the data set will need more than two columns.  In other words, the first column is reserved for the X axis, each additional column will be represented separately on the Y axis.

Our custom report tutorial demonstrates creation of a graph with multiple data points on the Y axis. 

For SQL help, it's difficult for me to understand the data you are looking at.  Without knowing the schema, I can't recommend a particular solution.  Two tips here:

1. If the data is on two separate log lines (alloc / free), you may need to create multiple message parsers.  The message parsers can then be merged to create a unified dataset for reporting.

2.  AI chatbots are pretty good at recommending SQL solutions.  LogViewPlus is mostly compatible with SQL Server, so a solution that works for one should work in the other.

Hope that helps,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...