Workspace missing bookmarks

Author
Email User
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I’m evaluating LogViewPlus.  When I go to save my workspace and reload it later all the bookmarks are gone.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting somewhere that should be ticked?

Edited 5 Years Ago by Email User
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate LogViewPlus.

Bookmarks are not saved as part of a workspace. This is by design. The trouble here is that a bookmark is something very specific to a particular line in a log file. If a log file is rolled or recreated, the bookmark location is no longer relevant – and may be confusing.

Workspaces are used to restore your view after time has passed – possibly weeks. So the two concepts don’t work well together.

To save bookmarks, use the “Save Log Entries” command and use our internal “*.LVP” format. This will save bookmarks and bookmark notes into a format that can be easily shared with others as it does not require configuring a parser. This command is discussed here:
https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/workspace.html

I will look into adding a prompt when saving workspaces to make all of this more clear for future users.

Hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Toby
Email User
Email User
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Perhaps you could do something to invalidate bookmarks if the contents / hash of the line changes?

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Yes - good idea.  I can see why this is a better solution. I think if the bookmark is not valid, it will be quietly removed rather than prompting the user with a “bookmark invalid” message.

We have a bug in the current version of LogViewPlus and will need to release in the next few days (the bug is already fixed in the beta release). I will do my best to get a bookmark hashing solution in before then. If we miss this release, it will be in the next release (6 – 8 weeks).

Thanks!

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
We have just released LogViewPlus v2.3.18 which now has the ability to persist bookmarks and notes if the same file is loaded into the workspace (log entry hash codes must match).

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...