Group log files

Author
IVTH
Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Sometimes things break. When those things break, it might be because of errors in several different places with different logs on different hosts. It would be great if I could group (and even collapse the groups when not using them!) the log files into categories or labels so I can easily pull up the logs relevant to the issue at hand.

For example, if I have three servers A, B, and C that together do two tasks 1 and 2, they would each write their own log file for each task. So if servers A and B work on task 1, the would have `serverA_task1.log` and `serverB_task1.log`, and similar for task 2 that runs on B and C.

If task 1 fails, I would like to be able to look at the group of log files that task: `serverA_task1.log` and `serverB_task1.log`, and possibly collapse or hide the other log files for the current time. I could combine them into a single log, but that can make it more challenging to follow the exact process that each server was doing.

(Similarly, a different feature that is related: it could be great to have temporary merged logs by just selecting multiple log files in the side bar.)
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for the feedback.

We are currently working on the ability to group log files.  This feature will likely work by right clicking on a log file and then selecting a pre-defined group name.  The files will then be placed in the appropriate 'folder' in the tree view.

I am not sure if this will meet your requirements, but I would suggest we wait until this feature is available and then you can try it out to see what is missing.  Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks again,

Toby​​​​​​​​
IVTH
IVTH
Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)Junior Member (58 reputation)
Of course, that sounds like a very reasonable solution. Thank you!
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Happy to help.  I will post back on this topic once the feature is available in beta.  

Please do let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Toby​​​​​​​
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that the grouping feature discussed above is now available in our beta release.

You can find the feature in the log file context menu:

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further issues / thoughts / comments.

Thanks,

Toby
IVTH
IVTH
Looks good: how do I access the beta release and when might this be available in an official release?

Thanks
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
It's official!  :-) This change is in version v2.3.23 and greater. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...