Unable to make Date & Time settings work

Author
mhkohne
New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've got log files that have timestamps specified in microseconds.
Example lines:

1570540970652: giveMacToRegistrant Giving mac 00:0d:05:07:23:f9 to Registrant Application PC
1570540970653: configureInterface Configuring interface eth1 (mac address 00:0d:05:07:23:f9) for Backpack communication.
1570540970653: ifcfg-eth1 modified. Bouncing the interface.

Our local timezone is GMT -4 (US Eastern), so that first time is 9:22:50.652 AM local, 1:22:50.652 PM GMT.

The filename is 2019-10-08_09-22-40.dump and my parser setting is thus:
File name patter: *.dump
PatternParser
%d{Elapsed}: %m%n

(I've also done it with %d: %m%n, no difference)

When I load this file I end up with the times displayed being in GMT.

I've tried playing with Settings->Application->Date & Time, but I can't get any other behavior, no matter how I specify the 'when time zone is unspecified' and 'convert timestamps to' settings.

How do I make these files come up correctly?

Alternately, is there a quick way to switch the offset for a given file? Or specify an offset for a file type in the parser mappings? Right now all I can do is switch to the File Tab, click the Time Offset button and type in an offset for the given file. Which works, but is a major pain in the neck when I've got twenty files that I need to do this for at once.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for the detailed issue report. This sounds like a bug.  Elapsed time is processed differently from the more standard date formats and may be bypassing the timezone check.

I will need to investigate this further and get back to you later today.

In the meantime, would it help if you merged the files before applying the offset?  Just a suggestion. 

Thanks,

Toby
mhkohne
mhkohne
New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Note that if I change the configuration for that file type to just use %d (instead of %d{Elapsed}) the problem still occurs. What are the other options there (I know about ElapsedDecimal, but I suspect there are others that I can't find documented).

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
I have taken a closer look at the issue and can confirm it is a bug.  The "Convert time stamps to" setting is currently being ignored for all elapsed time calculations. 

I have fixed the issue.  The fix will be in the next beta release due out later this week.  I will post back here when the beta is available. 

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Toby

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi - I just wanted to let you know that we have now released LogViewPlus v2.3.35 which resolves this issue.  

Please let me know if you have any further issues.

Thanks,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...