Not entirely clear about time settings, possible feature request?

Author
Zoltan Kelemen
Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My logfiles contain ISO 8601 formatted Date/Timestaps, with timezone information (UTC+1) :
YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ss,ssssss+HHmm; 

example:
2020-02-06T14:39:55.306+0100; 

I'm sitting in UTC+2 timezone.
In any way I try to combine Date&Time settings, I either end up with UTC time (13:39:55 for the example above) or time local to me (15:39:55),
but in no combination was I able to display time local to the logger (UTC+1, 14:39:55 in this case)

Since my "local time" and the server's "local time" differ, the date & time settings are insufficient or confusing.

I would suggest allowing the display of time in any chosen timezone, if possible.
Eventually let me know whether there's a configuration combination I might have missed, that would result in UTC+1 being displayed.

I'm using LogViewPlus 2.4.22.0 - beta version downloaded yesterday.

Thank you.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Keli,

To get this working in LogViewPlus, you need to do two things.  First, you will need to parse the time zone correctly.  Check the date format you are using contains "zzzz" or something similar.  For more information, please see: https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/date_specifier.html 

Second, you need to configure LogViewPlus to display log entries in local time.  You can do this by configuring the target timezone discussed here:  https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/date___time.html

If it is still not working after you have configured the above setting, please let me know.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Zoltan Kelemen
Zoltan Kelemen
Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)Gaining Respect (103 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The parser (as detected automatically by LogViewPlus) already handles timezone:
%d{yyyy-MM-ddT%H:mm:ss.fffzzzz};

As such "When timezone is unspecified" setting should be irrelevant, I assume.

Then I have three settings to convert timestamps. Screenshots from each with grid line and original log entry captured:
  • Do not Modify

• Local
  • UTC

Expected output: an option to see 13:56:18.025 in the grid view.

Please note, if I add zzz to the Time Display Format, I always get +02:00 (my local timezone), but the rest of the timestamp behaves just the same as above.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
This may be a bug.  I will need to take a closer look and get back to you.

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Keli,

I have taken a closer look at this issue.  There are a few elements all coming together, but the things to keep in mind are:
1.  A timestamp must always has a locale - even if one is not provided.
2.  A user may want to display the time in a different locale.
3.  When a time zone is provided, the locale is known.

With this in mind, everything you have reported is working correctly.  In this case, "Do not Modify" means, "accept the locale given - if any".  I will improve the documentation so the behavior of these settings is more clear.

This still leaves the problem of displaying the time without modification.  To achieve this, I have included a new setting to "Ignore time zones".  I have also renamed the "Do not Modify" setting to make the behavior more clear:

I believe this setting will give you the desired behavior.  This feature is now available in LogViewPlus 2.4.25 BETA which can be downloaded from: https://www.logviewplus.com/download.html

Hope that helps,

Toby
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...