Template Folders / Grouping

Author
MatthiasB
Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Within LogViewPlus it is possible to define templates which can be used to apply often used filters.
Depending on the logfile different templates can be useful.

It would be nice if templates can be grouped into folders like e.g. "Windows logs", "Linux logs" etc. (just as example) or based on the kind of log like e.g. "LogType 1", "Logtype 2"...

When only having 5-10 templates the current the current overview is nice. In case of having more templates it takes some time to find the right one.

Best regards,
Matthias

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Mattias,

Templates are sorted alphabetically and there is currently no way to group them other than by name.  I would suggest applying a standard naming scheme.  For example:

Windows.Type1.Template1
Windows.Type1.Template2
Linux.Type1.Template1

...etc.  I think this this approach might actually work better than folders because nothing is 'hidden'. 

Hope that helps.  Please let me know if I am misunderstanding the issue.

Thanks,

Toby
MatthiasB
MatthiasB
Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)Gaining Respect (114 reputation)
Hi Toby,

thanks for your fast reply!
This is the workaround I am currently using :-)

We've implemented LogViewPlus in our support department and want to use it for the analysis of the logs of our software products. Each log does have a different pattern and therefore requires his own parsers and filters.

Example for my improvement idea:
All our logs contain a lot of information. Some messages are only used very rare. Therefore I've created a template called "Cleanup" which does remove all entries which are very seldom used.
This template does now exist for "Logtype1", "Logtype2", "Logtype3" and so on. Having all templates shown means that a template could be applied which theoretically will not have an effect on the log at all.
Therefore I thought it would be nice to have folders which can be created so the analyst opens the folder for his log and selects the required template.

Maybe an alternative idea would be to have templates per parser.
This will just show templates which have been assigned to a parser so the above mentioned confusion can never occour.

I hope this makes a bit more sense.
I agree to you that ordering by name is perfect as long as you only have a small amount of templates. In case of having many templates an option to sort them in folders would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Matthias
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Thanks for the feedback! 

I think this would probably best be addressed by a new feature - similar to Templates.  I think it would be best if we continue this discussion along with your other question over here:  https://www.logviewplus.com/forum/564/Store-and-load-config-on-SMB

Thanks,

Toby
MatthiasB
MatthiasB
Hi Toby,

good point! :-)
Happy to close this ticket and follow up in the other case.

Best regards,
Matthias

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...