SSH auth options

Author
SlackR84
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
Have used the trial on recommendation of a friend who's a paying customer and it seems great and do what I want (and what he's wanted for awhile).

The issue is that I have moved all my ssh auth over to a yubikey, but logview doesnt seem to support the 2 ways I can currently auth to my servers.

Could a pageant style authentication method be added? (so no need for cert, password, etc) as this is handled in the background. This works fine with putty, winscp, filezilla pro etc

OR

I also have setup a ed25519-sk key (ecdsa-sk is also supported by later versions of OpenSSH), but you only seem to support the PPK format, which you cant seem to currently convert ecdsa-sk/ed25519-sk OpenSSH to PPK format. So the question is could  OpenSSH key formats (including ecdsa-sk/ed25519-sk) be supported directly?

I think the pageant method is probably best - this way any future changes to keys/dongles/etc are supported by the agent and dont require updating your app.

This is currently a deal breaker for me and also causing the friend who recommended me issues as hes in the process of moving to a yubikey too.

Thanks!
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Slack,

Thanks for the feedback.

Pageant is not currently supported.  This is something we will look at in a future release.

However, we do support ed25519.  We introduced this in v2.5.14 as a plugin, but the latest version of LogViewPlus supports ed25519 without requiring a plugin.  Please see the latest BETA version.  

Hope that helps,

Toby

SlackR84
SlackR84
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
Hi,

Glad to hear pageant might/is/will be coming!

ed25519 support isnt ed25519-sk support. ed25519-sk generates a key that mostly lives on a FIDO2 security token, the file on the PC is just a stub of sorts that points to the security token.
Edited 3 Years Ago by SlackR84
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)
Thanks for the clarification.

I am afraid I do not have a good solution.  Our networking library is largely provided by a third party (Rebex) and it seems they do not yet support Pageant or ed25519-sk.

We monitor Rebex closely and I will keep an eye out for changes.  I know that Pageant is planned, but I am not sure when this will be available.

Hope that helps,

Toby
SlackR84
SlackR84
OK, thanks for your response. Appreciate hands are tied as waiting on upstream library. I will keep checking back.

Thanks!
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Thanks for your understanding Slack.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

Toby
SlackR84
SlackR84
Hi again,

So I have worked around this issue as follows:
putty has support for authenticating via gpg-agent, so I connect to the server that is pubkey only auth remotely and set up a tunnel:
9229 -> 127.0.0.1:9229
I allow password auth on the server on 127.0.0.1 only:
sshd_config -
Match Address 127.0.0.1
  PasswordAuthentication yes

I can then connect logview to the server on 127.0.0.1:9229 and it all works fine.

Is there a plugin or the ability to add a command to run BEFORE connecting? I could call putty before attempting to access the remote fillesystem with "putty.exe - load "profile name here". If logview could run a command before connecting, this would work around the auth issue without needing upstream support for pageant etc.

Thanks!
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Glad to hear you got it working Slack - thanks for sharing!

Running a command before connecting is currently not supported.  However, LogViewPlus does support External Commands.  This might help if you wanted to run a command before connecting, but this would still need to be a manual action.  Open Actions would not work in this case as they are executed after the file is initially downloaded.

Executing a command before connecting is tricky as re-connections happen frequently.  Also, there may be multiple files open from the same server. 

I think what we might need to do here is add a configuration option to Open Actions which allows the user to specify if the command should be executed before or after the file is downloaded.  I will add this to our feature request list.

Hope that helps,

Toby
SlackR84
SlackR84
I would probably not run the putty command directly, I would probably craft a batch file that will launch putty and confirm connectivity to the server (and reconnect if required). So that would all be handled externally, so far as logview is concerned - its no different to any other network/remote share.

If logview executed the command/batch on all reconnect attempts (rather than just initial connection) I could add some logic around that too.

All that would be needed would be logview to launch the command and await a successful return code, the rest could be handled externally via the ran command.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
My preference would be to execute the command once before the initial connection on a per-file basis.  Spawning a new process for every connection attempt would only need to happen once to annoy a user - especially if those processes were expensive.  I also don't want to add something that the user then needs to 'work around'.  

Also, note that LogViewPlus can wait for a program to exit, but it does not check the return code status.
Edited 3 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...