Impossible to create a parser

Author
Maarten Mostert
New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I try to make a parser for a very simple tab-separated file.
#changed    Smalltalk.VWHelp.ArborOutlineLabeledObjectHolder    class    asVisualComponentWhereSelected:inTransition:attributes:    Smalltalk.Graphics.BoundedWrapper    class    on:at:

However, whatever I try it is impossible to save this configuration.
Maarten

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Maarten,

LogViewPlus requires all log entries to have a timestamp.  In this case, it looks like your file does not have a time stamped log entries and so LogViewPlus cannot process the file.

I appreciate that this information is not shown in the dialog.  I will take a look at that and see what we can do for the next release.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Edited 3 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
Maarten Mostert
Maarten Mostert
New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks for the reply.
That at least explains why.
This log file is too critical to write the time, that why it has been omitted.
Regards,
Maarten,

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
It is a tricky issue for us.  We would like to get the data into the application, but a lot of LogViewPlus features are built with the assumption that a timestamp will be available.  For example, merge files use the timestamp to sort the log entries.

Dropping the requirement would likely make some parts of the application more confusing.  Also, it is not clear how common this problem is, but I believe that most log files do provide a timestamp.

We could just auto-generate a "hidden" timestamp and not show the column.  This would work and it is maybe something that we need to investigate.  This requirement dates back to some early versions of the application and it may be time for a re-think.

For now, we can definitely improve the error reporting.

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention,

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Maarten,

I just wanted to let you know that we have now released LogViewPlus v2.5.19 as a beta release.  This release includes improved reporting in the Parser Wizard to notify the user if a date has not been defined.

I realize this is not a solution to your problem, but I think it is a step in the right direction.  Hopefully, it will help future users identify this issue more quickly.

Toby
Edited 3 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...