Unable to parse logs after updating to 2.5.22

Author
petr
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After updating to 2.5.22 the json log files that worked fine in older version now fail to parse.
I couldn't find a link to older versions. Can you please provide archive of older versions, or at least the last one before 2.5.22 (I don't know which one it was).

I can provide the failing log and parser if you want.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Petr,

Thanks for letting us know - this is the first I have heard of JSON parsing issues in the latest release.  I would appreciate any details you could provide on the issue so we can get it resolved.  Please feel free to contact us directly if it helps to send log files.

You can find our previous release here (link is off of the release notes page):
https://www.logviewplus.com/releases.aspx

Thanks,

Toby
petr
petr
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Thank you for helping to quickly resolve the issue. Downgrading to 2.5.14 helped.

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)Prestige User (3.9K reputation)
Glad to hear you got it working - thanks for letting me know.

I took a quick look at the JSON parser and it is unchanged between v2.5.14 and v2.5.22, so the problem must be some where else.  I would love to know more about the issue if you get a chance.

Thanks,

Toby
petr
petr
I don't know how to send you a file directly, the contact form doesn't allow it and I can't seem to find a PM function.
I don't know where logs are located so I've sent the error report at 19:25 GMT+2.
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Petr,

Thanks for sending the sample log file across.  I have now had a look at the problem and wanted to give you a quick update.

The issue is the the log file has some JSON like:
{
    "message": "Petr's message."
}

The apostrophe in that message is causing a problem for our JSON parser as it needs to be escaped.   This is creating a very clear, easily repeatable exception.  I can also confirm that v2.5.14 does not have this issue.

What I have not yet been able to determine is - what has changed in the new version?  As mentioned above, the JSON parser has not been updated between the releases, so It is a very strange error.

Unfortunately, I do not think this is going to be a quick fix.  We will definitely fix this issue for the next release, but the next BETA release is still several weeks away.  I will update this thread when a BETA release is available.

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Toby
LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Petr,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.  We normally try to turn issues like this around quickly, but we were unfortunately deep into DPI changes that needed to be pushed forward. 

We have resolved this issue in the latest BETA release - LogViewPlus v2.5.28.

We also made two further changes in this release which I think you might interested you.  First, we completely revisited how we parse JSON files.  We now use a modified version of the JSON.net parser which can improve performance up to 50% in some cases.  I believe you will see a solid performance improvement in your log files.

Second, I noticed that our CLEF message template processing was not automatically detecting the 'Properties' object favored by Serilog.  We have addressed this issue as well.  If you want to clean-up your parser configuration a bit, you should be able to get a good parse with:

{
  "Timestamp": "%d{yyyy-MM-ddT%H:mm:ss.fffffffzzzz}",
  "Level": "%p",
  "MessageTemplate": "%m{-parserhint:CLEF}",
  "Exception": "%ex"
}

Hope that helps.  Thanks again for bringing this problem to our attention.

Toby

petr
petr
Hi Toby,

wow, that all sounds great!

Thanks, I'll definitely try out the beta.
Tim
Tim
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
[quote]
LogViewPlus Support - 28 Jul 2021
Second, I noticed that our CLEF message template processing was not automatically detecting the 'Properties' object favored by Serilog.  We have addressed this issue as well.  If you want to clean-up your parser configuration a bit, you should be able to get a good parse with:

{
  "Timestamp": "%d{yyyy-MM-ddT%H:mm:ss.fffffffzzzz}",
  "Level": "%p",
  "MessageTemplate": "%m{-parserhint:CLEF}",
  "Exception": "%ex"
}

Hi Toby,

Is it possible to configure logviewplus to find the variables in an object called something other than 'Properties'? Apologies if I missed it in the docs

Thanks
Tim

LogViewPlus Support
LogViewPlus Support
Hi Tim,

Right now, LogViewPlus can find the variables in the root node, or in the 'Properties' object.  This search path is not configurable. 

What object are you trying to read from?  Is your logging format part of a standard?

Maybe what we need to do is expand the parser hint to something like "%m{-parserhint:CLEF  MY_PROPERTIES_OBJECT}"

Toby
Edited 3 Years Ago by LogViewPlus Support
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...